Chapter 31 - Defiance

Elizah made her way back to Jayden, standing with a soldier and flexing his fingers slightly.

"So, did they agree with your idea?" he asked her with a small yet hopeful glance.

"Yes. I managed to convince them enough, but I got some strange advice from Micah," Elizah said thoughtfully.

"What was that?" Jayden asked curiously.

"He asked me to be wary of your mother, strangely like he noticed what she was doing," Elizah said with a brow furrowed in thought. But she didn't have much time to think further. There was the snapping down of chains on her wrists again. Elizah looked up to see the soldiers trying to drag Jayden and herself away from the council room.

They waited for a moment in the corridor where Noxaura stood waiting with a glare in her gaze.

"Well my son, it's your turn with me. Would you be able to stand like your lov-," Noxaura began.

"No."

Noxaura rose an eyebrow at Elizah's defiant voice.

"Who do you think you are?" Noxaura said with a raised brow, "Are you trying to get yourself killed?"

"You will not lay a hand on him," Elizah said as she raised her head to look Noxaura in the eye.

"Elizah---," Jayden began, knowing that he could endure the pain that Noxaura could bring. He didn't want Elizah to suffer again.

"No. As long as I live, I swore to protect you with my bloodbond and that I will," Elizah answered without turning back.

"You're scared inside aren't you?" Noxaura asked with a short laugh.

"Don't touch him."

"I'm still his mother."

"Either you take me. Or you have to kill me right here and then take him," Elizah only glared. She was running on rage and fury. Her hand was curled up into a fist, and her blue eyes were ice-cold with defiance.

"You seriously are keen on death either way? I'm surprised," Noxaura asked with a shrug.

Elizah didn't move a muscle, and Jayden knew that arguing with the two women would be futile. Noxaura waited to see if Elizah would retort further.

"Liz—-," Jayden tried again since Elizah had already faced enough pain.

Elizah turned momentarily before saying, "I made one promise to myself when we sealed the bloodbond. I swore that as long as I live, I will protect you from anyone I can. You are the face of the future of this island and the entirety of the Larkspear kingdom. You, and you alone have the strength to create a future of unity between magical folk and everyone else. I believe in you, Jayden Larkspear."

Jayden was on the verge of kissing Elizah, but he was careful since Noxaura was standing and glaring down at the two of them.

"Well, I see you've made your point clear," Noxaura said as she turned on her heel and whispered a command to the guards before strolling out into the corridors leading to the dungeons.

A moment of silence hung between them all, with the question being which one of them Noxaura had summoned for. Jayden reached for Elizah's palm and squeezed it gently, and only smiled in concern at Elizah.

"You don't have to do this," Jayden said as they shared a glance.

"Consider it my thanks for everything you've done to help me all this time. I love you, Jayden. And I hope that never changes," Elizah said as the soldiers took them down the corridor leading to the dungeons.