Chapter 2

¨She can see us! Gene! Do you know who we are? Huh, Gene! Do ya? Do ya?¨
Genesis looked carefully at them and found two symbols on their forehead.On one, a star.; and on the other, a heart. Her eyes widened and a smile spread across her face. She scooped them up, and realized they were very heavy. They were as long as her arms, and had very thick bodies.
¨Yes, I do. You, with the star. You're Nova. And with the heart, you're valentine!¨ She exclaimed. Nova and Valentine were her favorite characters in her grandmother's stories. Her Grandma would often tell stories about Nova and Valentine, but Genesis never thought they were real. Amber came running over and peered upon the weird multicolored bunnies in her arms. The bunnies wriggled out and pushed Genesis in a random direction.
¨Wait, I'm sorry guys, we have something we need to do.¨ She patted them.
¨We know! You're searching for that messenger, Hilda!¨
¨How did you know? Did you see her?¨
¨Yup yup! She flew past us and she was crying and saying stuff about being a disappointment and worrying you and some other exiles.¨
¨So, can you show us where she is? Please, Nova, Valentine, we need to find her.¨
¨Well, that's what we were doing. You stopped us.¨
¨Oh, I'm sorry. Please continue.¨
Genesis waved to Rico and Zhen, and they came running over. Rico looked over the bunnies and hissed. Zhen came to Amber's side.
¨And, who might you be? Why are you speaking with Genesis?¨Rico questioned.
¨Now you listen here, buster! We've known her longer than you've been exiled, so don't chu talk all high an mighty, you feel me? We're being pretty nice to help you find the other exile, so shut your mouth before I make ya!¨ Valentine snarled. Rico didn't respond but he let out a small hiss. Valentine jumped on Rico and bit him in the ear. Rico tried to fling him off, but Valentine's jaw held on with all his might. Rico unsheathed his claws and prepared to fight. Genesis' arms flung forward in an attempt to grab Valentine, but received a scratch across her shoulder from Rico. Blood came through her sleeve and Amber screamed. Valentine let go and ran to Nova. Rico gazed in horor upon what he had done.
¨Genesis. I-im so sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you. I-im so sorry.¨ His ears drooped and his tail fell limp. Genesis didn't dare look at her wound. She couldn't stand the sight of blood.
Nova sprinted off, and a small crowd of exiles came to see what the fuss was about. They silently whispered among themselves and stared.
¨Oh my.¨
¨A royal guard? Exiled?¨
¨What a shame.¨
¨He hurt a human.¨
¨The human can see him.¨
¨He broke the rules.¨
Nova came running back with another monster by his side. It was a hybrid, just like Rico. From the waist up, it was human. It seemed to be a female, for she had long black hair, and coffee colored skin. Her eyes sparkled a light green color and showed worry. She wore a tank top that was created from leaves and flowers. Various plants also popped out her hair, along with a pair of antlers and doe ears. From below the waist, it was the body of a deer, with tawny colored fur. Around each hoof was a daisy chain. Nova and the new hybrid approached Genesis and the hybrid held out her hand. Amber held onto Genesis’s good shoulder.
“Genesis, darling. Don't trust them. After what Cat man did to you, are you really going to trust the Deer woman?” Amber pleaded.
Genesis turned to Amber, as a tear rolled down her cheek.
“It hurts, Amber. My grandmother knew and trusted them. Why shouldn't I? I think they can help.”
Genesis took the Deer hybrid's hand, and the Deer traced the scratch on her shoulder. The Deer looked up at Genesis.
“My name is Zita. What happened, little human? Who did this to you?” She whispered softly. Rico stepped up, tail limp, and eyes enlarged.
“I did, my lady. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt her. It was an accident.” He mewed.
Zita frowned and turned back to Genesis. She reached into her hair and pulled out a thorny rose that pricked her fingers and made them bleed. Zita hid the rose back in her hair, and applied her blood to Genesis’s wound. As the blood made contact with her skin, the wound slowly closed up, and left a small scar and a tear in her shirt.