chapter 1: grilled fish

"You've certainly kept us waiting, my lord," I say in a lighthearted manner.

"My dearest apologies. I had serious matters to attend to. I'm sorry for missing dinner," Ayato replies vaguely.

"What kind of matters my lord? I'm always happy to help out you know."

"I understand thoma, but these matters do not concern you, so please do not stress. Where is my sister?"

I shrug. "She said she was going out, but I'm just assuming she went to see Yoimiya."

"I see... it appears I've missed her as well."

"Don't worry ayato. If you want i can take you out and we can eat again together if that makes you feel better."

"That'd be lovely. Please do give me a moment to settle though."

"Of course."

I begin to wash the dishes and scrub off excess food with a small towel and clean up the blankets i had set down on the floor. Then i hear a dog bark in the distance.

"Taroumaru, what's wrong boy?" I ask, walking up to him.

He whines and runs to the door, which I open.

It's Ayaka.

"Back so soon?" I ask teasingly as she walks back in.

"Sorry. I went for a stroll to ease my mind but the storm picked up quick and ruined my outfit. All that for a change of mood I suppose," she says with a dramatic sigh.

"Let me get you a new change of clothes."

"Oh no, it's quite alri-"

But I had no intention of listening. I cared about the Kamisatos deeply and their happiness was my top priority.

I come back to her shortly with a change of clothes and a hairbrush. She smiles and takes it.

"Thank you... I guess today I just wanted to get my mind off of some things."

"Is something bothering you?"

"Well... in a way. You see, ever since... Mom passed, Ayato has changed. I know you've noticed too. He matured, took matters in his own hands, and became so much more protective and kind of a workaholic. But he never takes time for himself and when I try to explain to him that he should rest accordingly- he dismisses my words. I also coped with the loss of them very poorly and I still miss them a lot."

"I know you do my lady. I can't force Ayato to do anything, but I'm always open to talk to you, my job is to help you. The loss of someone you love is definitely going to be painful."

"When are we ever going to reach a point where you aren't so formal?" Ayaka asks with a soft smile.

"Ah, sorry... I guess it's just habit."

"I see you as a great friend, Thoma. Not just... my maid or something. You're beyond amazing."

I scratch my neck. "Haha, thank you. I'll try to lose the habit."

"Alright. I'll go ahead and change and rest now," Ayaka says, "See you."

I nod as she walks to her room and shuts the door. I sigh and pace around for a bit, waiting on Ayato.

I quickly put up some of the leftover food that was still set out so it doesn't spoil.

After a while, Ayato returns from his room, slightly more fixed up than he was when he came back to the estate.

"Where do you want to go?" He asks.

"Oh uh, I thought that you should pick since you were out all day, and it can be my treat too-"