chapter 5: missed opportunity

Thoma's POV

Please... let him be okay.

I was sitting in a chair next to a hospital bed crying. I really needed to go home because it was super late but I didn't want to leave Ayato.

I was scared I would lose him.

He was kind of a tease... but he was so kind and hard-working and beautiful in every way.

I knew deep down I had to leave.

I walked to the bed and sighed.

"Ayato.. why did it have to be you and not me..?"

Then I remembered what Shinobu and I talked about.

"Were you and Ayato making out in there?"

"What, no! I.. he just.."

"Hmm. Your face was really red so I thought something like that happened. Do you like him?"

"Do I like... Ayato?"

"Yeah. How would you feel about kissing him?"

"Kiss... kissing Ayato... no no... stop this!"

Shinobu bursted out laughing. "If you love him, just tell him. C'mon, we need to go."

"Ayato... I..."

He was unconscious and I still couldn't say it.

I sighed and placed a gentle kiss on his forehead.

"I'll see you tomorrow.."

...

"Good morning Thoma. I have good news," Ayaka waves to me as I walk into the kitchen.

"What's up?"

"Ayato is awake today! But unfortunately, they found several scars all over his back that were very severe, and the doctors don't know what it's from so he can't come back today."

"Scars..? Why would he have scars..?"

"I don't know. If you want, you can go visit him. I already saw him for a bit earlier. The first thing he talked about when he woke up was you."

I smile to myself.

"You like him, don't you?" Ayaka suddenly asks.

"Huh? Why are you asking this so randomly?"

"Just wondering. I'm kind of observational. I notice these things, and you always appear to be so flustered around him. And you smile every time I talk about him."

"I... I think so..."

"Yeah. Don't worry, I'll be your wingwoman. Ayato likes roses and boba tea. He also actually really likes people who are loyal. And I found out he seems to like when you get all flustered or embarrassed when he teases you. He also loves going for walks and he secretly loves cheek kisses."

"How do you know all of that..?"

Ayaka giggles. "Blackmail."

"What?"

"Anyway, you should fetch him some roses. He'd love that, and you might even get a surprise reaction out of him. Or boba tea. Both work very well."

"I see..."

...

I picked a few fresh roses from by the river in as many different colors as I could find. I didn't pick up boba tea out of fear I'd get a bad flavor.

Then I visited his hospital room.

"Ayato?"

He sat up instantly.