chapter 3: i'm sorry

Thoma's POV

...

Ayaka still hadn't come back home a day later, and Ayato was currently out with his duties.

I decided it would be best to go to Naganohara Fireworks and ask Yoimiya if she had seen Ayaka, since it was likely she had went to Yoimiya's house. If Yoimiya wasn't at her shop, I could always ask her dad.

A while later, I arrived at the shop and gently open the door. I see that Yoimiya's father is at the counter.

"Hello fellow customer, how can I help you?" he asks.

"Oh I'm actually looking for Yoimiya, do you know where she is?"

"What?"

I sigh.

"Yoimiya, where is she?"

"Why do you want to know what she's wearing?" the man says, looking like he's about to punch me all the way to the times of Khaenri'ah.

"No sir! Her location!"

"Ohhh where IS SHE! She's at home."

"Okay, thank you!"

"What?"

...

I arrive at Yoimiya's house and gently knock on the door.

A few minutes later, the door opens to Yoimiya.

"Oh Thoma! Howdy doo? Why are you here? I assume you're looking for Ayaka right?" she says quickly.

"Yeah, is she here?"

"She is! She seemed really upset last night and asked if I could keep her company so of course I said yes! Should I tell her that you want to see her?"

"Yes, please."

"Okie dokie!"

Yoimiya comes back a bit later with Ayaka behind her.

"Okay, I'll let you two at it," Yoimiya says, pushing Ayaka outside next to me and closing the door.

"Hey... Ayaka."

"Hey."

An awkward silence fills the atmosphere for a while. I don't know what to say and she seems to also be a bit mad at me as well.

"So you've been gone for about two days now, and last night I talked to Ayato after you left and he seemed very genuinely sorry. He definitely cares about you too Ayaka. And I know you think he doesn't but maybe there's an outlying reason to why he works so much? He did say something about pritecting you," I explain.

"Maybe... I don't know. It just feels more like he's left us as a whole. Since Mom died, he took the role of being responsible but he lost the ability to control how much stress he puts on himself. He also became stubborn."

"I understand, but maybe his perspective needs to be seen too. I'm not trying to defend him but he may be in a tough situation right now and there'd be no way we could no. I can't force you to do anything, but I think today you should come home, and when he gets back, you two can talk it out. Neither you nor him deserve to feel badly because of this."

"You're right... I shouldn't have acted so selfish..."

"Hey... it's okay. You weren't being selfish. I know you've had an extremely hard time dealing with the death of your parents so you have the right to feel upset that Ayato isn't home to help you."

"Thank you Thoma, you're the best. Me and my brother would be a mess without you," she says, giving me a quick hug.

"It's really nothing, it's my job," I say, scratching my neck anxiously. "Will you be home?"

"Yes. I'll come with you right now, just let me say bye to Yoimiya quickly. I'll be right back."

I nod as Ayaka dashes back into Yoimiya's house. Merely a few moments later she comes back out and we walk home.

"So Ayato is at work?"

"...He is."

"Expected as much. You know, you're a really great person for being able to be so sympathetic towards his situation. I guess I didn't really consider how he was feeling too."

"Ayaka it's really okay. You're not any less of a person because of your outburst. When things are bottled up for too long, it's bound to spiral out of control."

"Yeah... you give really good advice and you're such a good person. You and Yoimiya have helped me a lot, with battling my mental illness. Yoimiya isn't good at giving advice like you are, but she's very bubbly and also a really kind hearted person, and I see the same in you as well."

I smile at her compliments.

We eventually reach the estate and I open the door and hold it for Ayaka. She walks in and I follow her.

I make her tea and we end up talking about random things, such as Inazuma news, Yoimiya, embarrassing things Ayato did when he was younger, and etcetera.

A bit later, Ayato comes in and sees me and Ayaka happily chatting.

"Oh.. hey guys.."

He's clearly upset. Probably because he hurt Ayaka.

"Ayato, welcome home my lord."

"Ayato," Ayaka greets with a light nod.

I whisper to Ayaka and she nods, then go to my room, keeping the door slightly ajar so I could see and hear them.

"Ayato.. I'm sorry for lashing out at you, I just-"

"Ayaka I'm so sorry," Ayato says and immediately rushing to hug her.

Then they both start crying.

I smile, happy knowing that the two would be okay and had made up.

Ayato then explains to Ayaka that he would try his best to be home for her more and how his job is extremely difficult and stressful. Ayaka then tells him she got too emotional and had missed having fun with him.

After I notice the conversation is mostly over, I come back out and offer to make them food. They shake their heads and say they will be going to one of their favorite spots and talk to make up for lost time, and that they will get food afterwards. I nod and tell them to stay safe.

"Ayaka, give me just a second, I need to tell Thoma something in private," Ayato says.

Ayaka smiles and nods, and begins walking to their destination.

"I assume this was your doing, and I can't thank you enough. My sister means a lot to me and I felt really bad for what had happened. I hope one day I can tell you what my duties consist of and why they are so important, but for now it must remain classified."

"It's really okay-"

Ayato quickly embraces me before I get a moment to process anything. His embrace is so warm and nice and I gently hug him back.

After a while, Ayato pulls away a but and looks into my eyes. I feel my face heat up.

"You've always been such a beautiful person, Thoma. You've worked with us for so long and you've become a true friend to us, and Ayaka and I both care for you deeply. I definitely like you more though," he says with a small wink. Then he runs off to join Ayaka and I'm left standing puzzled.

My mind stayed glued on Ayato for a long time after that.

..

a/n: sorry if this chapter is kind of short- i promise they'll get longer after the war worsens, and probably in a few chapters thoma will recognize his romantic feelings for ayato because he's  inexperienced with this stuff. nothing really crazy will happen between the two for a bit though because thoma is a bit shy and ayato doesn't see thoma in that way quite yet.

anyway i hope you guys have a lovely day and that you are all doing well <3

and for the people pulling for venti or ayato, i wish you luck!! (i ending up getting venti myself !!)