chapter 6: cruise

"Good news Ayato," the nurse says walking in the room, "You're able to be discharged. We have taken care of everything, but if something happens like an infection or reopening, dont hesitate to contact us."

"Thank you so much."

"We'll go ahead and let the staff know, and you should be out of here within an hour."

...

With that, I got back to the estate. I didn't know when I'd be able to return to work in such a condition.

I opened the door to only see Ayaka.

"Where's Thoma?" I ask.

Ayaka smirks. "He's out getting stuff right now. And welcome home."

"Thank you."

"Oh, and can I ask you kind of a personal question?"

"I guess so."

"Do you like Thoma?"

"Yeah."

"Like as in romantically?"

"Why do you need to know?" I ask, raising a brow.

"Sibling to sibling. I won't snitch if you do, I've just been having a hunch."

"Then why don't you tell me if you like Yoimiya?"

"C'mon this isn't about her!"

"It wasn't about Thoma either until you brought it up."

"Literally die."

"I almost did."

"So do you like Thoma? I'll tell you about Yoimiya."

"That means you like her. Or else you'd just say no."

Ayaka sighs and slumps onto the sofa.

Then the door flung open and Thoma is seen with a container of food and a cup of boba. He walks up to me and hands me the stuff.

"Welcome back, Ayato."

"For me? Thank you Thoma."

He happily nods and sits down at the kitchen table and I start digging into my food, saving the boba for last.

"It's a type of spicy chicken. I thought it'd be something you'd like."

"It's very nice," I reply.

I get to the boba and almost jump in excitement.

"One more thing, can I take you somewhere?" Thoma asks.

"I suppose so."

I notice Ayaka freakishly smile in the corner of my eye, like she's scheming something. "Have fun you two!!" she chides.

...

Thoma takes me to the Narukami Shrine and tells me to draw a fortune slip. We both end up drawing one.

I read mine in my head.

Despite all of your darkness, there will be a light that shines through. Take your chance and trust it. You'll know when it arrives.

"That's quite interesting. Thoma, what's this for?"

"I honestly don't know to be honest. I just wanted to soend time with you," he says quietly, his lips quivering.

I kept thinking about the hospital incident. I was initially teasing but I wondered how things would've actually gone if the nurse hadn't came in. It was funny to see Thoma get all flustered and nervous. I knew better than to assume he would have the guts to actually make a move. If I pushed it too far, maybe he would though. Maybe something like an inner Alpha would release.