Chapter 39

Tessa

A few minutes later, nurse Nevin comes to my room and she leads us to the gynecologist.

Nurse: "Dr. Robbins, this is the couple I told you about."

Dr. Robbins: "Thank you, nurse Nevin."

Nurse: "I'll see you later, guys!" She leaves.

Dr. Robbins: "Have a seat."

We talk for a while with doctor Robbins, informing her about my health and then we go to do an ultrasound and a check up to see if the problem I have is real. The check took ten minutes and before the ultrasound, she talked with us.

Dr. Robbins:" Okay, what you have is called a short cervix. But it's not an infertility problem, Tessa. You get pregnant harder, but it's not impossible. This may affect the pregnancy. Like you can have a miscarriage in the first weeks, or you can give birth prematurely. But if you take care of yourself, everything will be fine. And because we found out early, we can do everything to keep the baby safe in your belly. And all you have to do is to come for a check-up more often. In the first weeks, then as you reach the second trimester, everything will be better. As I can see on your health papers, you don't live in Chicago. But could you move here for a while? I don't recommend flights in this condition and neither a long drive."

Hardin: "Yes, of course we can stay here for a while. We can do everything to have this baby." He says without thinking.

Dr. Robbins: "That's great, now, do you want to see the baby?"

Tessa: "Of course, we want!" I say excited.

Dr. Robbins: "Your HGC level indicates me that you're around eight weeks, but we will surely know after the ultrasound. We will do an internal ultrasound because we can see better everything. Okay?"

Tessa: "Yes."

She prepares everything for the ultrasound and she starts the procedure.

Dr. Robbins: "Eight weeks and two days. And this spot is your baby."

Hardin: "I don't understand anything..." He says confused and I am the same.

Dr. Robbins: "It's small. It's like an olive, but in a few weeks, you will be able to see everything better." She looks on the screen. "The measurements are perfect for this age and nothing is wrong. And we can also hear the heartbeat." She pushes a button and we hear the heartbeat of our baby.

Tessa: "Oh my God!" I say with tears in my eyes while I look at Hardin.

Dr. Robbins: "This is a strong heartbeat. Your little one is a strong baby." She smiles.

We end the ultrasound and she gives us some pictures, then we go back to her office to discuss more about what we have to do.

Dr. Robbins: "As you are in the first trimester, I want you to do some tests. And you partner has to also do some tests to be sure that the baby doesn't have a gene which can cause a disease."

Hardin: "We can do something about her nausea?"

Dr. Robbins: "You can take some pills for nausea, I will prescribe you everything you need to take now. I saw your blood tests and everything seems to be fine, but I will give you some prenatal vitamins. So... for the moment we're done." He hands Hardin a file. "This is your pregnancy file and you have there everything, from your tests result, to the prescribed meds and my phone number. If anything happens with you, call me at any time. And I would like to see you in three weeks with the tests results, okay?"

Hardin: "Of course!"

Tessa: "Good. Thank you, dr. Robbins. Have a good day!"

Dr. Robbins: "You too!"