Seven

The last time Trepidation had been in New York he had been pouting, watching Mother pack his clothes for their trip to Thierry's ranch in Tanzania.  Now he was driving up the turnpike dreading seeing The City again.  A couple of exits and they would be at the Holland Tunnel.  Rozz was complaining of hunger in the seat beside Trepidation.  In the back, Mara and Valerie were changing Sadian's diaper.  Gatito sat on the floor between the two front seats playing one of Trepidation's video games. 

     Trepidation rumpled Gatito's hair, "You hungry kid?"

     "Uh huh."

     "OK, when we get into the city, I'll take you all to a restaurant, what do you want to eat, huh kiddo?"

     "Can we eat Mexican food?"

     Trepidation laughed, "You ever had Mexican food before, Gatito?"

     "No, but I think I'm Mexican."

     Trepidation raised his eyebrows, "And what makes you think that?"

     "It's just an idea I got."

     Trepidation caught Rozz checking the boy out, squinting then leaning back.  Gatito had a shade of skin that some Mexican's had.  He had those pretty cheekbones that must have earned him his nickname.  But he wasn't sure what it said that he had brown hair with gold highlights or honey-coloured eyes.

     "Maybe," said Rozz slowly, "The kid's only half, you know, like me being half American and all."

     "I don't know if that's the same. You're ethnically Dutch and Polish."

 "OK, well culturally..."

     "I get the point," said Trepidation.  "It's always possible.  Unless Mara happens to know what Gatito is..."

     "All I know is Thierry taught him Spanish."

     "I guess I can stomach Mexican food, Rozz will be grateful, kid."

     Gatito smiled up at one older boy and then the other. 

     The tunnel left them off near Canal Street and Trepidation drove them uptown from there.  He gestured to the tree-lined street outside, the old townhouses and cluttered storefront windows, "The Village," he said, "This is where I lived." 

     Mara stood and walked to the front with her head bowed under the roof.  She stood behind Trepidation's chair and looked out the front window.  Mara's hand strayed over the back of the chair into Trepidation's hair.  He lifted one hand to touch hers before drawing it away and banking the van around a corner.  The avenue blocks had less residences than the street blocks.  They had more large stores and restaurants.  Trepidation zigzagged through another street and onto Sixth Avenue. 

     He signaled, lowered the underwheels, set down, and pulled immediately right to park along the curb. 

     They all tumbled out onto the dirty grey sidewalk.  It was early evening and neon and mercury were beginning to illuminate the avenue.  They looked a bit scruffy even to Trepidation, the long plane ride and the heat of the van's interior in summer hadn't done wonders for hair, clothes or make-up.  Trepidation smiled half a smile and led them into the restaurant. 

     "How many?" asked the hostess.

     "Five," said Trepidation, there was no reason to count Sadian among the diners. 

     "There's a party of six before you on the list, but if you wait, we'll clear a large table for you next."

     Trepidation gave one of his indifferent tight lipped smiles.  "Sure, we'll wait.  He busied himself with dusting his clothes and wiping smudgy eyeliner from under his bottom lashes.  Shielded from sight by Valerie who held his mirror Rozz was fixing his face.  Mara wiped Sadian's face with a wet towel and then straightened up and dusted off her jacket.  Trepidation was almost used to seeing her no longer pregnant.