Seventeen

Valerie looked from the hotel window to the Moscow street below.  Rozz was here for the conferences on Darkling affairs, mainly to listen in, as the People of the Book seemed to be behind its organization and purpose.  But Valerie might share her opinion.  And besides that, Rozz was interested in talking with the Russian President, in making a more lasting peace between Goth and its Eastern neighbor.  Things had been especially tense since France and several small Eastern European republics had become Goth states. 

     Valerie lifted her long red hair from her shoulder and tossed it back behind her ear.  She turned as the door opened and her girls came in.  Eva was upset, Valerie knew that she was, she still looked so down.  And Teena Marie looked guilty.  "Can't you make up?" Valerie asked.  She'd almost left the girls at home over this.

     "Teena didn't have to steal my boyfriend, I loved Ethan!"

     "I told you I didn't steal him..."

     "Girls," Valerie cried, "Wouldn't it be better if neither of you were with this boy?"

     "No...he's happy with Teena, he should be happy."

     "Then let them be happy," Valerie laughed, "We'll find you another boy, one who will love you forever."

     "I won't find one," Eva whined. 

     Valerie smiled to herself.  She made a sigh and went to Eva, put her arms around the young woman.  "I know how it hurts.  It will get better."

     "You could be Ethan's other wife," Teena Marie whispered.  It only made Eva cry.  "Well, what about Azim, he likes you."

     "I like Azim and Sharif, but not in that way.  I'd rather have a goth boy...there's nothing wrong with that!"

     Valerie hugged her older daughter more tightly, "Oh, there's nothing wrong with you.  I like Goth boys.  We'll go to the games when we get home and you'll try to smile for Ethan so he'll win us a medal and then I'll take you to GothWorld.  Just you and me if you like."

     Eva moved herself a short distance from Valerie and wiped at her face.  "And all the bodyguards," she laughed.

     Valerie giggled.  "We'll make sure to bring the cutest ones, hmmmn?"

     Eva smiled, "Could we take Teena Marie and Brittany Leigh maybe?  You think Claudia would want to come?"

     "I'll tell ya what, we'll have another Beautiful Day.  All us girls dressed up and having so much fun dancing and riding the coasters."

     "Can I get some new boots?"

     "Sure," Valerie smiled.  "Think you're OK, I've got some work I can do."

     "Ja, Mom, go on."

†  †  †

Victoria nibbled on a bit of spiced meat on bread as she shuffled through the files on her mobile computer and the various ads printed on foil that lay all about the dim room at the back of the Villa.  She lifted a stack of small posters and raised them above her head as she licked the fingers of her left hand quickly before answering the incoming call on her computer.  "Sharif, take them," Victoria said. 

     Her husband's son took the stack of ads and turned to the doorway where Brittany Leigh waited.  Victoria glanced down at the screen, saw Valerie.  "Sharif! Wait.  You be careful driving out to the city."

     "I will be careful," Sharif said.

     "Sorry," said Victoria as she glanced down again, "we're very busy here.  You still in Moscow?"