Twenty-Two

For several minutes the large group stood about greeting old friends and loves, and family, embracing those they had not already been reunited with upstairs.  And still others were on their way.  Shade stood watching them all, Anne always nearby.  She gave to him a look that said it was as awkward for her to see Thierry again as it was for Shade to see Angel. 

     Shade had not actually seen Angel since the war.  That had been quite a few years ago.  Several decades at least.  She looked exhausted despite the smell of shampoo about her, the clean clothes, and the glassful of blood in her hand.   Shade walked to her side.  "Hello, Angel."

     She said nothing, not even silently, just looked at him. 

     "It was good what you've done for them.  I know what you go through.  Thank You, it helps us all."

     "I know," she said.  "Thanks."  But Shade sensed pain in her when they spoke.  It was the sort of pain one felt when they knew someone they had once loved and been loved by was with another person now.  Shade sometimes felt that same feeling thinking about Angel and all the many lovers she'd had over the last several centuries.  Even knowing that they couldn't live together without fighting and ripping open old wounds didn't completely keep them from feeling pain.

     It was one of the things about being immortal that really sucked like a boy whore.  And as Shade knew from experience they sucked intensely and deeply.

     Orchid was there, looking well.  But Athen wasn't there.  Orchid usually looked very well so long as his thrice wed ex-husband was not about to remind him that he'd spent too many years with someone who wasn't the best thing for him.  All those years with Morpheus playing the friend and watching Orchid be self destructive and hurt. 

      Orchid embraced Shade, smelled like clove cigarettes and Eternity...as he always did.  "It's good to see you," he said.

     Shade stood back to look at him, smiled.  Orchid always made him smile.  "Takes a lot to pull you away from Karachi."

     "Yeah?  When was the last time you left here?" Orchid asked. 

     Shade smiled. 

     Orchid went to find Morpheus who was talking with Amadeo and Sweet.  They were all good friends.  Quick had found her father; Louis hadn't had a chance to see her in a long time, though Quick was always good about writing to those she loved afar.  Mara was holding onto Sadian's baby, her granddaughter actually.  Thierry was shielding Monique from the crowd, she wasn't feeling very well, but she and her baby would be well soon enough.  Christian and Zuelekha were sitting on the far side of the room.  Daerick and Joy had made themselves at home and were watching videos.  Professor Sitchtin had rejoined them.  And Koki who was now calling herself Kasha was standing with Miko and Laila, the three of them sporting newly dyed hair.  Opium had appeared.  And so had Daniel, he was trying to get Valor's attention.

     Shade took his seat at the table, silently invited Sadian and Trepidation to join him. They both sat either side of Shade near the head of the table and soon the others were joining them.  Sadian gestured for Astoric to sit beside her.  Mara still had their baby and went to sit with Trip, as they all called him. 

     "Look at all this food," Sadian said as the chairs filled. 

     "Have as much as you like, I had them make dishes especially for your family," Shade offered.

     "I'm starving," Sadian said.  It seemed her brother was hesitant to speak in this large crowd. 

     "It is a shame you haven't seen more of the world, Astoric," Shade said, "Many of us are quite friendly, and there are so many beautiful things to see."