Twenty-One

Sadian recognized a friend from afar.  She turned to Girl Morpheus.  "Can you look a bit less like a partangel?" Sadian asked.  She watched as Morpheus smiled.  Her wings faded and then her hair went black while her eyes went blue.  Finally Girl Morpheus darkened her skin to a light brown pigmentation. "Much better," Sadian said.  She tapped Astoric on the back. 

     Astoric bent forward to the elephant's ear.  "We'll be getting off here, Madame elephant," he said in his best Swahili, they thought Tanzanian elephants might understand it better than American.  The elephant raised a leg so that they would have a step down.  Astoric went first so that he could help Sadian down.  He carried her again and the little Morpheus followed. 

     Sadian directed Astoric to approach a Israeli woman in outdoorsy clothing.  She looked up from her small digital assistant at them.  "Sadi?"

     "Hello, Professor Sitchtin," Sadian said.

     "Are you all right?"

     "I'm in labor, thanks you," Sadian giggled.

     "She's had a pain killer," Astoric offered.  Dear Sweet Murphy. 

     "You must be Star."

     "Yes, Professor," Astoric said.

     "Oh, please call me Sarah."   She smiled.  "Shouldn't you be at home, where is your mother?  You need a doctor."

     "We've had some trouble," Sadian said, "Can you buy us some tickets to Alexandria?  We can pay you back later?"

     "I'm headed there myself," Sarah said, "I'll be glad to help.  Who is your little friend?  I suppose I should buy three tickets?"

     "Our friend isn't going along, she's just guarding us until we get safely on the train," Astoric said. 

     "So you are in some trouble?"

     "Yes, if you notice any Americans about they shouldn't be trusted."

     Sarah nodded.  "I'm afraid everyone does not find Shi Vampires so fascinating.  I hope you will allow me to ride with you to Alexandria."

     "As much as possible," Sadian said. 

     "I'll go get you tickets, wait for me here."

     Sadian managed a nod. 

     "Convenient her being here," Girl Morpheus said.

     "Yes," Sadian said.  "But there are a number of Anthropologists, Archaeologists and the like that frequent this area.  Mother took me to visit with some of them.  Those sort of people always find us more fascinating than dangerous."

     "Just watch they don't want to dissect you," Morpheus said. 

     "They don't have to, it's easier to shoot rays through us onto film and such," Sadian said. 

†  †  †

   The ranch was below, and so was the dust trail from the hunter's vehicles.  They were close.  But Angel wanted them close.  It was night and she could descend unseen and ambush them at the ranch.  She began her descent, let her body fall slowly closer to the earth.  Around her the others fell, Christian and Zuelekha, Kasha, Miko and Laila, Amadeo, Daerick and Joy. 

     "What are Sweet and Quick still doing there?" Daerick asked.

     Angel concentrated, reached toward the main house.  There did seem to be two souls within.  Only she wasn't convinced it was Sweet and Quick.  They were almost to the ground by then, and because they were cold the hunters couldn't see them on infrared.  "I don't think it's really them, but we are meant to think they are.  Perhaps it's a trick meant to confuse the hunters, but stay alert," Angel told the others.