Ch 4: Authority

Yellow eyes. Shining brighter than anything Ephram had ever seen before. In comparison to even the city lights he had seen from afar in the Garden, they shone brighter. It was the first thing he had noticed about Aberlain, his gleaming golden irises. He was dressed in a brilliant yellow king's robe with black fur trim which flowed behind him as he walked. Underneath the yellow robe was a midnight black suit with a long black tie, a dark vest, and black undershirt. He wore what seemed to be black loafers, their polish reflecting the light of his eyes. The first thought that had appeared in Ephram's mind when he saw this demon and his appearance was power. He seemed to be just above 6 feet tall, standing just a few inches taller than Ephram.

Aberlain looked down at the three of them from the balcony of the great hall, his dark void of a face almost blotted out by the stars he called his eyes. His hands were wrapped in what seemed to be white silk gloves, gripping the banister firmly. He appeared to be a quiet and thoughtful stoic figure, analyzing the trio as they stood below him in the hall.

Ephram looked up towards the ceiling, an extraordinarily large diamond chandelier hung freely above his head, illuminating the room to the point of daylight. It was so far out of his reach that even if he had wings it would take quite a while to reach it. The word palace was an understatement for this massive estate, it was the largest and most impressive place Ephram had ever bore witness to. Upon entering the grounds, he had walked past hundreds of large stone sculptures of Aberlain himself, and even a few of both May and her father together. Lush green bushes and towering pine trees lined the towering gates which concealed the estate entirely from the outside world.

Upon his arrival, Ephram had walked by an enormous water fountain which seemed to be made entirely from Gold, sitting proudly in front of the main entrance. It roared with the clearest water he had ever seen, far different from that which ran through the streets of Ygdransi.

"May, daughter... who are these two you've brought before me?" Aberlain's voice rang through the great hall, echoing off each and every surface imaginable. The strength in his voice was apparent, not a hint of weakness to be found.

His eyes were locked on Ephram, ignoring the other two entirely as he spoke. They pierced through him like a spear through mere paper.

"This one here is E, a newborn demon who just awakened not too long ago in the Garden. I was hoping you could shed some light on his situation for him?" May hesitated, correcting herself, "For me, father? I'm sure you sense something different about him too." She said, glancing over at Ephram quickly.

Aberlain clasped his hands behind his back, strolling down the white marble staircase towards the three of them. He nodded towards May, looking just slightly above her at her sunhat.

"The other is a lesser demon by the name of Silo, he's been a great help in securing E so I was wondering if it was alright for him to stay here for a while as well? I will take full responsibility for both E and Silo during their stay here, father." May said shakily, something about her tone had begun to break, revealing a side of herself Ephram had yet to see.

Ephram looked at May, wondering why she seemed so different, it was as if she were afraid of her own father. He had to admit to himself that Aberlain did seem like quite a powerful figure, but for his own daughter to feel fear at his presence was just peculiar to him.

"E, is it? It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I'm sure my daughter has made you aware of me, but I would like to properly introduce myself." Aberlain said, his voice as smooth as the white marble flooring they all stood upon. His demeanor had entirely changed when speaking to Ephram, the overwhelming power he placed in their hearts had been replaced by something else entirely. He couldn't quite tell if this change was a good thing, or the sign of something much worse yet to come.