Ch 16: Nothing in The Way

"Bullshit! How can you just accuse my father like that!? I get he's kind of a weird guy, but when Restavel wakes up I'll get the truth from her! Hmph! Since you seem to just keep pushing Silo and me away!" May yelled angrily at Ephram as she pouted away from him and into the corner.

Ephram looked solemnly down into his hands as he folded them neatly in his lap, thinking about just how manipulative Aberlain had been towards his daughter. Since May had knocked on the door he had explained to her their current situation, but she hadn't seemed to take it very well.

Surely Aberlain had used her for his own gain and had decided to toss his own daughter aside once her usefulness faded. Pestarrem himself had even said May's name, indicating the Rootlord had told him to kill both May and Ephram. There was no other explanation for the rat demon's actions beside Aberlain somehow finding the creature and using it to do his dirty work for him.

Ephram wasn't stupid, and he realized that the Rootlord must've been planning something big if he saw his own daughter as a threat. Perhaps he was simply afraid of his daughter, knowing how powerful May was. One day she would replace him as the Rootlord, and Ephram thought that was reason enough for the power hungry Aberlain to get rid of his own flesh and blood.

He looked down to where Restavel lay, watching as her breathing steadily caused her chest to rise and fall. He noticed the blood had stopped pouring from her eyes, causing the dried remnants of her blood to stick to her sockets like wet clay. His only hope was for her to quickly wake up and explain the situation to his friends; there was no telling when Aberlain would return. If he did, it would spell disaster for everyone.

"May... I know you don't want to hear it, but, I'll say it again. I only left you and Silo behind on Earth because I was afraid of what waited for us in Hell. It seemed I was right... " Ephram began as he stood from the bed and faced May, "...listen to me, okay? You two are important to me and I wouldn't lie to either of you. Aberlain really did send that rat demon from the sewers, Pestarrem, to kill us. Why would I make that up? What would I have to gain?" He asked, quite sure May would have to see reason and understand he was just trying to protect her.

"She says she doesn't wanna talk to you." Silo squeaked from her shoulder as May turned her back towards Ephram dramatically, now facing the dingy grayish wallpaper.

"Well... that's alright. Can you give her a message for me then? Tell her I'm sorry? You too Silo, I really am sorry." He said, and watched as the field mouse turned to whisper something in May's ear.

Her golden hair bobbed up and down as she listened to the mouse diligently, as if she were hanging on every word.

"She said... uh... she said prove it." Silo said confusingly, cocking his head to the side like a confused dog. He seemed to be unsure of what May could mean by 'prove it' and was hoping Ephram knew what she meant.

"Hm... can you ask her what she wants me to do? How can I prove to her I'm not lying?" He asked, just as confused as the mouse.

Silo turned to face May once more, whispering in her ear quickly as if he were getting fed up with playing messenger between the two. May whispered back like speaking into a phone, taking her time with her words to set Ephram on edge with anticipation.

"Uh... okay, so, well... she said... um..." Silo began, but trailed off incoherently as he fidgeted back and forth awkwardly on her shoulder.

"What? May, what are you trying to say? Enough with the games, please just talk to me."

As soon as Ephram finished speaking she whirled around to face him, sticking her hand out to point in his face. Silo clung on for dear life as she spun around dramatically, making him feel like he was riding a swirling tornado.