Ch 28: Unconquerable Soul

"I'd like for you to shut up and listen, just this once. Do you understand me?" The whispering voice of the Rootlord echoed throughout Ephram's mind.

Something wasn't right. Something inside of him had changed once more. After Aberlain had punched straight into his diaphragm, Ephram had fallen to the ground gasping for breath. It was as if every molecule in his body had been ripped apart and sewn back together again, fighting to cling to one another. He had never felt this pure strength before and was shocked at the level Aberlain had reached. They were in completely different leagues, and all hope was beginning to drain from Ephram's mind as he listened to the mad ramblings of the self-proclaimed King.

"The world as we know it is over. I will destroy the infrastructure humanity has built upon the Earth and rebuild this realm for the sake of both our races. Demons and humans alike will roam this world, constantly seeking to improve themselves. I will no longer tolerate the weakness of neither the flesh nor the mind from anyone, for weakness is not something I indulge in." Aberlain said, kneeling down next to Ephram's unmoving body as he spoke.

As if the very next words uttered by the Rootlord were made of toxins, the seething venomous hate pouring from his mouth was enough to send Ephram into a frenzy of the mind. His body was still unable to move as it recovered from the shock of Aberlain's strike, but his mind was put into overdrive as he hung on every word.

"I will kill everyone you love, destroy everything you have, and take all that is precious to you before I allow you to rip the future from my grasp. There is nothing you can do to stop progress." The Rootlord said, standing back up slowly as he straightened his suit jacket and began walking away towards the edge of the roof.

The yellow eyes peering from his human host's face scanned the surrounding carnage of the city. The billowing clouds of gray smoke rose from every crumbling home and business below. The screams had just about died out, but every once in a while the horrific screech of a dying human sped through the air. The joyous yet crazed laughter coming from the demons he'd unleashed, however, were plentiful in numbers.

Aberlain slowly turned as he heard the shuffling of feet behind him, Ephram had finally regained a bit of strength. As the two demons turned to face each other once more, the Rootlord began to sigh with genuine sadness. His path was a hard one, not many walked it. The only enemy he thought capable of possibly defeating him had proven himself to be just as weak as the others.

"Let's get it over with already." He said exasperatedly, wishing this fight would just end.

Ephram's red eyes grew wide with both shock and anger. It was unbelievable to him how unfair this world seemed to treat him. After all this power, all this strength, and all this determination he held within, he was still just as helpless as before. It was like reality kept placing impossible obstacles in his way to keep him down for good, as if it knew he was a threat.

Tick.

All of a sudden, the air around Ephram grew warmer. As he listened to the soft ticking of his pocket watch, he began blocking out everything else around him. He had defied reality before, beating odds he knew were impossible. To rise above the cruelty of this world he would have to become something else entirely. Like a raging inferno toiling about within his soul, the thought of losing to Aberlain and consequently failing his friends tormented his mind. Ephram thought to himself that maybe not everything beautiful should last forever. Perhaps it was better for the light to one day go out, leaving nothing but darkness.

Tick.

The watch disagreed. As if time itself were holding tightly to his soul, the watch began to give off its own waves of animosity. The sympathy it felt for Ephram as it saw the beauty in his eyes fade away, along with anything else wonderful in his soul, was nearly infinite. The world was sucking him dry of all hope and ambition and yet he still fought back. The only hope the world had left for a truly bright future rested upon the back of this one human man turned demon. The willpower he carried alone was enough to send shockwaves of inspiration through the very soul of what he held most precious to him. The golden pocket watch felt the energy being released from Ephram's body, giving it a new hope for a better future.