Library

"Dyl it has to be past tense." I say.

"What? Mr Jeffry said I could do it in present form." Dylan looked at me with a serious face.

"Dylan, it clearly states that it must be written in past tense. Any way Mr Jeffry is a teacher aid." I giggle crossing out a few sentences from Dylan's short one page story about a chicken who gets grilled and deep fried into a chicken nugget burger. The thing about Dylan is that he's here to have fun, not learn and stress over tests or assignments, but have fun. That's what I love about him, he takes most things as a joke.

"Hey." Brodie says slipping into an empty seat next to me,"What brings you guys to the library?"

"Burgers." Dylan says sarcastically.

I kick Dylan from underneath the table,"He means homework about Burgers." Dylan rolls his eyes and pretends as if Brodie's not even sitting next to me. Or exists.

"Oh, I see." Brodie chuckles, "So I don't know if you've heard but the winter ball is this Friday and I was wondering if you wanted to go with me?" Brodie asks confidently.

"Well, that's not really my criteria." I bite lip. All I can think is 'Brodie is asking me to the dance! The Brodie (last name)! The guy I have had a crush on from year (whatever)!'

Brodie looks at me with those big blue ocean coloured eyes,"Oh ok." He says obviously offended yet saddened with a mixture of hurt.

"But maybe it wouldn't hurt. So yes I would love to go with you." I smile widely.

"Great. I'll pick you up at 7:00." Brodie grinned walking off. I slide my fingers down into the palm of my hand before pinching and squeezing a little bit of skin. It's not a dream.

"Can you believe that?! Brodie asked me out!" I squeal into Dylan's ears. The weird thing about that is that I didn't freeze up or have one of my panic attacks. It felt as if I was just talking to Jake or Dylan. It felt normal to be talking to the most cutest guy in school, the guy that everyone loves.

"Yeah." Dylan rolls his eyes looking like he just got stabbed.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"Nothing... It's just I was thinking that we could have gone together." He shrugged and sighed.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. Maybe next time though," I flash him a smile and quickly look at my watch,"I've gotta go, if I want to find a dress, I'll talk to you later." I stood up and packed away my books, slinging my backpack over my shoulder.

"Yeah, ok." Dylan mumbled. I smiled and ran out of the community library and into the parking lot to my black ninja. I jumped in and sped of to the mall, in search of my ideal dress.

_

I searched along rack to rack, trying to find a dress but there was nothing.

"Hey," A voice called, I turned around and saw Laura standing there smiling at me,"I heard about how Brodie's taking you to the dance." Oh god he we go, she's going to hell and scream and punch me.

"Y-yeah. Is that ok?" I ask scared.

"Totally, he really likes you. Brodie and I are just friends and he talks about you all the time." Laura said beaming at me.

My eyes go wide,"He does?"

"Of course. Hey, would you mind if I went with Dylan? I mean do you think I'd have a shot?" She asked cautiously. This weird feeling grew in the pit of my stomach, I just ignored it.

"Oh definitely." I nodded.

"Awesome. So are you alone picking out a dress?"

"Yeah." I mumbled.

"Well let me help you." She said and led me to another section of the store.

And that's how things began, I mean that's how our friendship started.