Chapter 4

Becker's house 8PM

A knock sounded at Varian's bedroom door. He let out a loud sigh and let his pencil slip from his finger and fall onto his notebook. "Yeah?" When he received no answer, he groaned and got up and opened his door.

The man was holding a cheese pizza box. He shoved it at Varian wordlessly and left. Well, at least Varian couldn't say the man didn't feed him. Although he preferred the pepperoni pizza, he wasn't about to mention that ever. The man even thought to bring a pop. Although, Varian wasn't personally a huge fan of Dr. Pepper and preferred Pepsi or Coke, he still found the drink better than other things he had to try in his short time in this world. It was definitely better than rain water.

He set the box on his desk and just ate the pizza straight from the box as he used his computer to continue his research. He had to admit that pizza was probably the best thing he had eaten. Well, there was also chipotle's. That was utterly amazing, but he had only had it three times.

Sighing, Varian pulled out his phone. Biting on his lower lip he thought for a moment what he should text to Hiro. He was very new to the whole phone business, but he caught on quickly and could easily build his own phone if he wished. Not that he had the time to do that with everything else on his plate and mind for the time being.

He finally decided on something simple.

Varian: Hey.

To his surprise, Hiro actually read it right away and replied. He had expected him to not answer, and, at the very most, read it a long time later.

Hiro: Hey. What are you up to?

Varian couldn't help but grin. It was like sending mini letters and getting a response right away. He was so recreating it when he went back to Corona. Well, right after he worked on the lack of electricity.

Varian: Not much. Just eating pizza. You?

He tapped his fingers, waiting for a response.

Hiro: Working on a school project.

Varian: I'm not interrupting am I?

Hiro: Nah, I need a break.

Varian: Cool. So which class is it for? Am I supposed to work on one or is it not in mine?

Hiro: I don't think so. I'm pretty sure you don't have that class.

Varian: Ok. I'm still nervous about starting school at S-Fit.

Hiro: Lol. Yeah, I was like that too.

Varian tilted his head. What the heck was that first word? He quickly looked up the definition of it on his computer. Oh. It was simply an abbreviation in text for laughing out loud.

Varian: Glad to know I'm not the only one, lol.

He hoped he used it right. It was so fun to use though. There was so much to learn. He wondered if there were more abbreviations that people used over text, so he ripped out a page of his notebook to write a list and it's meaning.

Hiro: Aunt Cass made a late dinner. See ya tomorrow.

Varian: Ok. See ya.

He turned off his phone and set it on the desk. Standing up, he grabbed the pizza box that still had half a pizza and walked out of his room. Making sure Becker wasn't in the hall, he couldn't see the man as far as he could tell. He went into the kitchen and simply set the box in the fridge.

Turning around to return to his room, he almost yelped upon seeing Becker sitting on the couch reading something. He hadn't noticed the man was there, believing he was in his own room doing some shady business.

Not wanting to draw any attention to himself, he moved as silently, but as quickly as possible. Even pulled his hoodie up over his head. As long as he minded his own business, Becker would probably leave him alone anyways.

S-Fit the next day.

Varian chewed on his pencil during Honors Calculus class. He already knew the equations, it was just a review for him, so he began to zone out. That and the teacher's voice was so dull, he couldn't bear to pay attention any longer. From the looks of it, most of the students felt the same. Except for the few that seemed to be trying to butter up the teacher. However, they were a little too dense to realize that she didn't care. Like at all.

Finally, the period ended and he gained the sweet release of lunch. He saw Hiro already in the food line, so Varian went through his line as quickly as possible to sit with Hiro at his table. He noticed more friends at the table than the day before. Must be Fred and Wasabi that he heard Hiro, Honey Lemon and Gogo mention.

"Hey, mind if I sit with you all again?"

"Sure." Hiro scooted over to let him sit down.

"Hey, Varian!" Honey Lemon waved. "Of course we don't mind! Oh, Wasabi, Fred, this is Varian."

"Hi." Varian nodded to them.

"Hiro says you're a double major," Wasabi said.

"Yes. Apparently that's not normal I realize now," Varian chuckled nervously.

"We think it's cool!" Honey Lemon exclaimed.

"Oh, uh... thanks."

"Funnily enough, I just found out that Karmi picked up a second major too. She's biology and robotics now," Hiro said.

"Oh, really?" Honey Lemon said. "Well, honestly, I should have seen that coming. Good for her too! I hope it's not too much for her to chew, but if anyone could do it, it's definitely Karmi. You should invite her to one of our movie nights soon," she added.

Hiro blushed. "Maybe... Um... Varian should come too," he said, hoping to move from Karmi.

"Wait, really? You barely know me."

"What better way to get to know you?" Wasabi pointed out.

"Good point," Varian agreed.

"So it's settled?" Honey Lemon asked.

"Totally up for that! As long as he can keep up with us," Fed teased.

Gogo nodded. "We're gonna be at Fred's on Friday at six pm. Think you can make it?"

"Yeah, I can work with that," Varian said.

"Sweet! I can pick you up if you need it. Here's my number." Fredric gave Varian a card with his phone number on it.

"Wow, really? Thanks! Can't wait!"