Chapter 4

[𝐘/𝐧'𝐬 𝐏𝐨𝐕]

On our way back from the gathering, Sasayuri and I walked along a back street with few streetlamps.

Sasayuri spoke enthusiastically about Makoto.

I paid him a little attention, just nodding now and then, while I thought back everything that had happened so far.

I had suddenly jumped back in time, landing in my college days and then, before I had any time to calm down and think, I had met Makoto for the second time.

If you thought about it normally, this was a complete impossible state of affairs, but I was having a weirdly easy time accepting this strange wonder.

No I wasn't just accepting it— I was using this situation to attempt to change the future.

My own adaptabiliity surprised me.

"Makoto's kind of an unusual case though huh? She's so cute but she doesn't put up a front at all." He spoke.

"Yeah, and her personality seems really great, so I think she'd be perfect for you." I replied.

I knew better than anyone that she was unusual, and that she didn't put up a front.

I certainly knew it far better than Sasayuri.

I truly wanted to say that. But it wasn't something that I could say.

I had sworn to endure this pain, if it meant never making Makoto cry again.

So, as much as possible, I continued to crush down my emotions.

I just smiled and speak to him.

"You two really hit it off, bantering with each other and complementing one another. I felt like I was watching a husband and wife comedy routine, I was laughing the whole time."

That was a lie.

I actually wasn't laughing at all.

I didn't recall much of what had happened after the two of them got back from the restroom.

But I remembered the vividly sense of helplessness I felt as Makoto and Sasayuri had so much fun chatting one another, while all I could do was watch from the distance.

As I imagined that this sort out things would only continue to happen after today, my chest started hurting.

Couldn't I just confess to Makoto and build our relationship from the very beginning?

This time, it would work.

I wouldn't make the same mistakes.

This time, I could make Makoto happy.

I heard this sweet, gentle whisper in my ear over and over again, and almost fell for it.

But every time, the sight of Makoto's dejected face at my side reared itself again in my head.

It was fine, I would get used to it soon.

That was what I told myself.

"I think I had a little too much drink..."

As we passed by a park, I flumped down into a bench, acting tipsy.

"I'm just gonna rest here for a bit. You can go on ahead, Sasayuri."

Without a word, Sasayuri made a dash for a vending machine, bought a plastic bottle of tea handing it to me and sat down beside me.

I had wanted to be alone, even just for a second, so his consideration irritated me a little.