19

Was that really Mateo's voice or was I dreaming? 

Oh, God, please let this not be a dream.

I thought really hard back to the times when I had Mateo and I'd met both of those people who called them his parents. I couldn't remember how they looked for anything in the world. Fuck.

Instead of trying to help the two of them anymore, I walked to the end of the. . . the aisle—both of those people on my heels.

My heart dropped to my feet when I saw that familiar bouncing baby boy with cute little brown curls and that smile that could make anybody's heart melt.

"M-Mateo?" I'm sure he didn't hear me since I spoke so low.

"Stay away from our son." The woman tried to stand in front of the boy, but he walked around her.

"Momma?" Mateo was staring at me, so I knew he was calling me his mom and not that other lady.

"Yes?" The woman smiled down at him.

"I'm not talking to you, Joy." Mateo rolled his little eyes at her. I wonder who taught him that?

I opened my arms for him to run into and he smiled and giggled while running sloppily to get wrapped into them. I could stay in this position forever.

"How've you been?"

"Not good." Mateo pouted while pointing at Joy. "She made me fast from ice cream, whatever that means."

I narrowed my eyes at the woman. "How could you? He's just a child."

"No child of mine will be a heathen," she sassed. "Nor will he be starred on the next episode of My 600 Pound Life."

I scoffed. "He's just a kid."

"See, I told you she's mean." Mateo crossed his arms while pouting.

I laughed while shaking my head. He was something else.

"Mateo, we don't have enough time to deal with this. . . heffer." The woman pulled Mateo's arm rather harsh.

I was going to do something, but what could I do? He wasn't under my custody. I could fight her, but that would land me in. . . land me in. . . whatever it was people went to when they were being bad.

I felt a lightbulb light up in my head as the craziest, wicked idea popped up.

"Follow that car." I pointed to the car Mateo, Joy, and the other guy got into.

"Why? Cleo, I don't think this is a very good idea." Booker looked at me suspiciously. "Should I get Adriana involved?"

"Um, no. We're not friends anymore." I picked with my fingers anxiously as we began following them.

"So when you get Mateo, what are you planning on doing? Live under a bridge?"

"Actually. . . I was thinkin' I could room with you for a while." I smiled trying to convince him. "You could tell me stories of our friendship and all that. Adriana told me how much you liked Mateo."

"I dunno. . ."

"Just until I get back on my feet."

Booker rubbed his waves while he contemplated my offer. "Cleo, you could stay with me as long as you like. I mean, I know your brain still has to heal and I would hate to see you by yourself during that process."

I squealed. "You're the best!"

Booker laughed while taking a right turn.

"Remember, don't make it too obvious that we're following them," I reminded him.

"Aight."

We sat in a comfortable silence as I tried to calm my nerves. I came up with the crazy plan to "kidnap" Mateo. I mean, I knew he was going to come to me regardless of anything I did. Then, we'd lay low with Booker while Joy and what's-his-face would never know anything happened. I doubted they cared about him as much as I did.

We parked the car behind some trees while we allowed them to go into their huge garage. Before closing their garage, I noticed Mateo jumped out and began running outside of the house with his arms out like he was an airplane. Joy and the other guy were already in the house, so I told Booker to flash his lights. Mateo spotted them and began slowly making his way towards our car.

What a smart little kid.

I unlocked my door and hopped out with a big grin on my face. I didn't even have to complete my juvenile plan. His "parents" would just think that he ran away or some shit.

"Hey, Mateo." Booker waved before slowly backing off.

"Hi!" Mateo rocked back in forth in his seat. "I missed you, Momma."

"And I missed you too, Mayo." The nickname rolled off of my tongue like I've said it before, but I couldn't recall doing so.

We listened to Mateo sing all of his favorite songs while we drove towards Booker's house. I pulled up an article on the News about the Hawthornes saying Mateo drowned himself in the river or something; I didn't care to read much further.

I just couldn't believe that he was finally mine. All mine.

This time, I wouldn't let anyone take that bundle of joy from me.

Ever.

A/N

Annnnd that's the end!! Thanks for reading my book. If you got any comments or tips for when I write another book, feel free to comment them. This is my first book, so I'd absolutely love some feedback!

There will be an epilogue, so it's not quite over yet.

- P0pppy :)