1

We had arrived in London last night, and as happy as I was to get my sister husbands, I needed the peace before I was to be thrown into the lions den.

I had taken one of Lady Danbury's horse before anyone had woken up and rode through the early dawn. I heard a few birds and ducks but no people, which I was happy for.

The cloak covering my head made it hard for someone else to see my face so it wasn't as dangerous as my sisters made it out to be.

"Whoa, there! Miss, are you in trouble?"

The horse neighed as I continued riding as fast as the horse would go. Trying to get away from whoever had been following me since I crossed his path.

The park that I had been riding in was extraordinary and it was vast beyond anything I had seen. It was been nothing compared to my family's lands in India but it was different.

"Careful, now!"

I seen a large mount, it was a gate or sorts. The gentleman seemed to be scared of it but I knew the horse could jump it. I would make my get away.

"Whoa, there!"

The horse snorts, I smile as I make it on top of the hill. I glance back to see the man standing on the other side, watching me.

👑

I had gotten back onto one of the many trails that lead through the park. It was certainly nice to be able to breathe. The gentleman was a nice challenge but it was close.

"Enjoying your victory lap?"

I swear in my native tongue before looking at him.

"You'll not be afforded such an ample head-start this time."

"Apologies, sir. I did not mean to cause anyone concern."

"Does your maid know you are riding astride?"

I smile as I look at him, our horses leading us down the paths.

"I have no maid."

"Then you're married."

I sternly look his way, the slightly smile was expected from him.

"Forgive me."

"Then you are lost."

"I am not lost either. I'm on my way back to Mayfair. It is just ahead."

"Mayfair? Well, then..."

I quickly look at him as I try not to sound as rude as I want to be.

"I appreciate your attention, sir, but I assure you I am perfectly safe. Perhaps we pretend this encounter never took place? You allow me to go my way, and you go yours."

"You worry about being seen."

"I worry about meeting strange men in parks at dawn who fail to leave me alone with their questions."

"Your secret is safe. I shall not tell a soul."

"How grateful I am."

"Losing races to strange women in such parks at dawn. I can only imagine the questions I would be asked."

The both of us chuckled as I glanced his way. I stopped the horse and looked at him.

"Is that what that was? A race?"

"Was it not?"

"Does one not need actual competition for a race?

"If we had decided on a finish line together, but alas, we made no such agreement."