12

Mama and my sisters sat across from me as we all took our baths. Edwina didn't meet my eyes and I kept looking her way. I went to speak but Edwina left, mama looked at me.

"You should try the lily soap today. It is good for the nerves."

I nodded and sunk into the water, letting everything disappear for just a few moments.

👑

I had stood behind my sisters as we walked along the park path. Edwina was talking to Lady Danbury as I thought about everything that's happened in the last few months.

"Straight into the fire. A favorite pastime of mine. Now, remember, it was a mutual understanding about a private matter between Miss Edwina and the viscount. That is all we are to say on the subject."

I nod as she speaks to one of the men.

"Good day, Lord Fife."

"For some of us."

"Is this truly our plan? Simply to pretend nothing has happened?"

"We are not pretending nothing has happened. We are choosing to deal with it in private, in our own time. Scandals may cast aspersions, but they do not obligate us to answer to anyone."

"Besides, the ton has a remarkably short memory. With any luck, by this time next week, there will be a bigger story for them to sink their rapacious teeth into. We may find you a husband this season still, Miss Edwina."

"I give credit to your imagination, Lady Danbury. A bigger story I cannot foresee."

She looks at me as we continue walking. We stop for a moment, I see the Bridgertons. I shake my head as I look at him. I felt bad for his family just as I had for my sisters.

"Lady Eaton."

After a few hours I got tired, we returned home with Lady Bridgerton and Lord Bridgerton in our steps. We sat down for tea and spoke.

"After everything that happened with his scullery maid last season, and Lord Cho cuts me?"

"We know what we are to deal with, at least. We shall not remove ourselves from this fight. All will be lost if we run now."

"I should like to remove myself from this room."

Edwina stands up and stands just behind us.

"Every day that goes by without our altering the ton-shared sentiment will harden it."

"Perhaps we need another story as to why things ended. We have already started to tell one. We cannot change course now."

"If we cannot speak about the reasons, might we at least act as though they are of no consequence to us?"

"A ball."

"Yes. Together. We prove to the ton that our story is true. It was indeed a mutual decision between all interested parties, and there is no scandal or ill will between our families at all."

"Hmm. A ball would give Edwina another chance to find a suitor. Another ball? So that the ton might inspect this wreckage with an even closer eye?"

"A ball may very well work. After all, the viscount and my sister have been so good at hiding their true feelings from everyone in public this far. It should not trouble them to do the same a little longer."

"Edwina..."

My dogs and Newton begin to bark, Arthur and Bailey jumping into Lord Bridgerton. I whistled and they both got down, I looked at them.

"My apologies. Arthur, Bailey, out now."

The dogs whine as they we look at each other. I smile as we keep glancing at each other.