six

isabelles pov :

"morning." he said looking down at his phone. i haven't woken up so early since highschool. it was 7:45. we were responsible adults, but we both woke up around 10 usually. when you get older you get to be more flexible with your schedule if youre luck, we're lucky to be our own bosses and make good money off it.

"morning." I yawned sitting in the passenger seat. "really?"

"what?" he asked, taking a sip of his coffee. "you can't drink coffee, you do know that right?"

"says who? how rude of you just waving it in my face." i scoffed. i dont care if im not his girlfriend, where the fuck is my coffee too? i get worse sleep than he does.

"smartass, pregnant women can't drink coffee." excuse me?

"says who?" there was no way. i knew sushi wasn't safe, but coffee?

"the internet. 200 milligrams is the safe amount but not recommended. you haven't done your research?" he chuckled as he started the long drive, the doctors office was 40 minutes away, but it was a good doctor so i didn't really mind. as long as vinnie didn't rush this drive, i really didn't want to be sick today.

we parked in the office parking lot, it was a beautiful hospital. a lot of babies with their moms and dads all over the place. cute and all but i felt out of place. all these women looked at us like our child was bound to be doomed, we're young, i get that. im 18, vinnie's 19. by the time this baby was born neither of us would be 20. we couldnt buy a bottle of alcohol but we could buy baby formula.

"hi isabelle! how are you sweetheart?" this doctor was sweet don't get me wrong—so sweet that it was a lit irritating. i knew vinnie would make fun of her once we left the office. "how's the bean?"

i got my blood drawn and a couple little things done. everything took forever, finally the main doctor was attending us.

"we dont know much about anything. we found out like 4 days ago."

"really? you're 6 weeks pregnant! one month down!"

"a whole month?" vinnie looked shocked. "a month and a half?"

"yes, its super normal. a lot of couples dont know till the 2nd month even. we can even maybe even try to hear the heartbeat! see that everything is better than okay." smiled the lady, maybe she was a little strong but she was a ray of sunshine. the way she knew we were young so she looked for the best in us.

"i mean sure." i shrugged, and looked over at vinnie. he was trying to be the stronger one for the moments i couldn't be strong in, im unsure how were so okay. he looked nervous.

she laid me down, lifted up my stomach, put some cold gel on it, and started a scan. i saw nothing. it just looked like an ulta sound, no baby could be seen. i knew this was normal.

"are you guys ready? the heart beat is there." she smiled up at me. i nodded but i looked over at vinnie getting up from the chair.

"i dont wanna be here to hear it." he said and left.

my heart dropped. this was one of the biggest moments we could have, its his future kids heart beat. his first memory of this.

"its okay. you can continue." i smiled softly, not a genuine smile. she raised the volume on the monitor and suddenly came the noise, similar to a heartbeat.

everything felt in place for a second. this didnt hurt, i felt right. like this all felt right. as if the purpose ive always been looking for was finally here.

i didn't notice my eyes watering, or once it ended. but i got my first ultrasound picture and left. i was prescribed some vitamins, i had my next appointment once my first trimester was over. which wasnt too far from now.

"howd it go?" of course, he has to come interrupt my peace?

"good. im gonna uber ok? thanks for being here." i nodded and walked to the exit.

"isabelle, i wasnt ready okay?"

"i understand."

"you dont. you're not listening to me. fuck, im fucking scared."

"are you in or not?"

"fuck isabella i dont know."

"then dont be. i can do this alone vinnie."

"no- i- fuck, i have to be."

"no. you can pretend we never were in eachothers lives if it what makes you happy. me and my kid dont have to chase and kiss your ass for love, if you want to go sleep with other girls and live your dirtbag life—do it. im giving you the choice."

he had tears in his eyes, i get it its hard. its hard, dont make things harder.

"i have to go. my ubers here." i breathed out getting into the uber. once the car started drivinf away i saw hit his car door. this wasn't gonna be easy.

ive done a lot of projects in my life. but project baby, was hard already.