🖤In A Different Life. Xiao x reader!

♡•*⁀➷

Warning! 

angst

♡•*⁀➷

She was walking down a valley picking glaze lilies, Xiao was walking behind her on full alert, as usual. She had managed to convince him to come pick flowers with her, he only agreed to avoid danger. She was walking along the valley, a large bouquet of glaze lilies in hand, when Xiao requested her to stop.

She stopped almost immediately, figuring it was just Xiao's paranoia and his need to protect her for all he was worth. "I heard something over there, we're being watched." She felt her blood go cold, who was watching her?? Who was watching Xiao??

Suddenly, effortlessly, she felt some kind of shock in her chest. Her breathing was becoming ragged, she could see Xiao shouting at her, tears forming in his eyes, but all she could hear was her own heart beat, growing slower. Her vision was going in and out of focus, she looked down shakily. 

The end of a treasure hoarder's arrow was protruding through her chest. Her knees weakened beneath her before giving out, and she fell to the ground. Xiao was now on top of the girl, crying. It was the saddest thing she'd ever witnessed. She felt herself black out.

When she opened her eyes, Xiao was still crying, but he was farther away now. He was beating the treasure hoarder black and blue with his fists. As soon as the man fell unconscious, he ran over to the girl and held her in his arms. "I love you" was the last thing she heard before drawing her last breath.

♡•*⁀➷

501 years later.

♡•*⁀➷

You woke slowly. You felt tired, once your eyes adjusted to being opened for the first time, you were greeted with a large and vast bamboo forest. The moon shone down from above. You stood up slowly, your legs wobbled beneath you. You were not used to it yet. You took your first few steps, the dry leaves on the ground crunched beneath your bare feet.

You walked and walked for what seemed like hours before coming across a clearing. It was a beautiful area, there was a circle outlined with stones in the middle. The moon seemed to shine brightest there, so you went and sat down in the middle. It almost seemed like it was meant for you to fit there, it was comfortable.

You noticed a gap in the trees you could see through, and through that gap there was a magnificent tree, with lights and decorations. It seemed to be some kind of inn, it was bustling with people and had bridges and rooms.. and food. You were hungry. You could smell it from where you were, the tantalizing aromas filling your nose.

You rose, and slowly but surely, made your way to the lovely inn. Your footsteps were silent and graceful, but your aura made your presence known, as people began swiveling their heads your way.

Everyone was staring at you, you felt your heart beat quicken, you felt fear run through your veins.

What seemed to be out of nowhere, someone shouted "Demon!"

Demon? You were completely confused, what demon. Why were they calling you demon? 

Everybody began to scream, and you ran. You ran back to the beautiful moonlit forest you came from, and you sat. You sat down, and you cried. You cried for what seemed like hours, but hours ended up turning into days.

When you finally took your tear stained face out of your pruned hands, you realized the sun was setting. It was a beautiful change in scenery from the dark clutches of your palms. Everyone seemed so happy at that big inn, you could hear laughter and music from where you were.

When the sun was just a sliver of light, wonderful lights were starting to appear in peoples arms, and they were releasing them into the air. They floated away and glowed in the night. It was the most magical thing you had ever seen, yet it felt all too familiar at the same time.

Why was it familiar to you? You didn't know.

♡•*⁀➷

Xiao's POV

♡•*⁀➷

I stood atop the Wangshuu Inn, past residents here had fled because of a recent sighting of a demon, and Verr was nagging more than usual, so it's my job to go and remove this pest.

I was told the demon disappeared into the nearby bamboo forest, so here I am, standing right outside of it. It was a shame I had to do this on lantern rite, Lumine had asked me to watch the lanterns with her.

♡•*⁀➷

I walked silently through the forest, dainty bamboo leaves were scattered about the ground. It was wonderful here, I was surprised I didn't come more often. But it was an ideal place for a demon to hide.

Eventually I came across a small clearing, I could smell the demon from where I was. They must be here.

I was right. There they were, sitting in a circle of rocks, looking out at the Wangshu Inn. They were wearing a wispy red and white hanfu, they had two long white horns protruding from their head, e/c eyes, and long black nails.

I brought out my polearm slowly, quietly, and lunged. They turned around as i was flying towards them.

♡•*⁀➷

Your POV

♡•*⁀➷

You were watching the lovely lights float through the sky, when you felt someone's presence. You turned around, and there was a man, with a polearm coming towards you. You were frozen in place, who was this man? Why was he attacking you? You had no idea, but a rush of familiarity washed over you.

The name rolled off of your tongue like water. 

"Xiao?"

♡•*⁀➷

My name. They called my name. How did they know my name?? I've never met this demon. My polearm stopped inches away from their face. 

The realization hit me like a train. "Y/N?"

♡•*⁀➷

Y/N? Who was Y/N? It sounded so familiar, yet you had no idea who that was. 

Almost like he was reading your mind, he pointed at you, eyes wide as saucers. "You're.. you're Y/N."

You were Y/N. Suddenly, you remembered everything. The glaze lilies, the valley, Xiao, the treasure hoarder... the arrow... you were reincarnated into a demon. Fat tears welled in your eyes and began cascading down your face, Xiao's tough expression broke and was replaced by happiness, worry, love.

You held your arms out for him, he latched onto you immediately. He held you like that for a while. "Hey.." you looked up at him. "Come see me again, when you're not a demon. Okay?" You were confused, but you nodded your head, still crying.

A single tear fell from Xiao's eye, he had a loving smile on his face, but was still full of sadness. "I'll see you in a few hundred years." Just then you felt the stab of his polearm through your abdomen and everything faded to black.

"I love you."

♡•*⁀➷

OH MY GOD THIS WAS SO LONG LMAO

VERY SAD IT MADE ME SAD WHILE I MADE IT OMG

♡•*⁀➷