Chapter 4

George POV

Air constricted in his chest, clenching his jaw in feigned calm. Guests shouted panicked questions at him, bodies clashing roughly as they attempted to flock closer. Guards shoved through the crowd, half giving chase after Dream while others moved in defense of their prince. 

George studied the crimson trails crawling over glossy floors, familiar voices scalding his mind with a darkness he wasn't accustomed to. How had Dream managed to set foot inside the ballroom? 

A cold wind blew straight through the prince. There were guards posted in every corner outside the ballroom, anyone sneaking inside would have to get through them first. George knew deep in his gut that the guards would have broken the rules to enter the ballroom if one of their ranks had been killed. 

He ordered his stiff knees to straighten, rising to his feet and fixing a commanding gaze on the guards around him. "Injury and death report, how many?"

"Injuries unknown," A dragon guard with deep blue horns peeking from golden locks bowed respectfully. "We haven't checked everyone yet. Death count one." He nodded at the fake king.

"One?" George narrowed his eyes. "You're sure?"

The guard dipped his chin in a nod.

Dream didn't kill anyone to get in. Meaning, not all the guards are on our side. George shuddered inwardly. Someone here purposefully let Dream and Sap in.

"George!" Boots clacked rapidly over the lacquered tiles behind him, and his chest flooded with relief when he recognized that overly friendly voice. "I was so worried!"

He quickly turned to face his personal guard, biting down a pang of sorrow as Bad stopped just short of him and bent into a deep bow. Formalities, formalities.... idiot, princes can't have friends. You know that.

"Glad to see you're unharmed," George murmured. 

"That was my line," Bad swished his tail. "Your carriage has been prepared and is waiting out front, we cleared a path for you." 

The dragon angled his body, intending to lead the way.

George nodded, gathering his courage and following his personal guard. He strived to block out the barrage of voices piercing his ears. He kept his attention trained on Bad's flicking tail-tip, watching the black heart curl in annoyance.

Two lines of guards formed a path to the carriage, and the prince felt hundreds of eyes trained on him. He wouldn't be surprised if his hair caught fire.

Bad halted, stepping respectfully away from the open carriage door. The stupid carriage creaked as George climbed inside. He found he didn't mind the musty smell or weathered walls if it meant he could be away from the bloodstained disaster of a ball and the stares that expected him to fix it.

This time, Bad rode in the carriage with him, settling down on a seat across from the prince.

"Bad," George murmured when the carriage lurched forward. "Did you hear any fights while you were on guard?"

"No." Bad answered truthfully. "All was quiet. We didn't know Dream was there until the guests started screaming inside."

"Why didn't you rush him?" George swallowed his nausea.

"Guests were flooding out in complete panic, if we were to use brute force people would get hurt. Severely." Bad explained quietly. "By the time we got in, Dream was fleeing. We had to make the decision of giving chase or searching for you."

George fell silent in understanding. He was foolish to believe grand rescues were as simple as storybooks made them seem. Reality was truly far harsher.