Chapter 15

George POV

The rough wood of the bridge railing dug into George's side as he slumped over it to watch the tiny fish darting about. A thin layer of morning fog clung to the ruffled surface and spilled out over the rocks crowding the bank on either side.

Not far from him, Dream leant his back on the same railing, elbows propped behind him and eyes cast absentmindedly to the gray sky. What he was thinking of, the prince couldn't guess.

"Good morning Gogy!" 

The one they'd been waiting for stepped onto the bridge with a smile far too energetic for such early hours. A black trench coat billowed around him, hands stuffed in the pockets and a dagger strapped to his thigh.

"And good morning to Dreamy-poo too, I guess." Sapnap halted across from them.

"You guess?" Dream lowered his attention from the sky, staring at his best friend with feigned indignation. 

"Don't cry, you're still second-place on my list of favorites." 

George smiled at their usual banter, pushing off his perch to stand properly. His stomach was still sore from reopening his wound, but the rest of him felt quite a bit better. 

"You're late," He scolded the raven haired dragon. "We've been waiting here forever."

Sapnap glanced at him. "Never mind. Dream, you're back in first place."

"I'm so honored." Dream brushed his hair out of his eyes. He was dressed differently than usual, black fabric hugging his muscles and buckles crisscrossing his body to hold countless little blades. 

When George had asked, the dirty blond explained he'd an old friend who lived across town in the farmlands and didn't particularly like the king. As such, Dream decided to take Quackity to sneak through the kingdom and pay them a visit.

The prince had balked at the idea, along with a burn in his chest that he never heard of this friend, but Dream insisted this dragon would be worth the trouble if he could convince them to help.  

"You should be." Sapnap grinned from ear to ear. 

His best friend rolled his eyes. "I'm still tempted to punch you."

"Ouch, you're a not a morning person." 

"You're such an idiot." Dream broke into a smile. His emerald eyes flicked to the prince, and he adjusted his fingerless gloves. "I'll be going then. Take care of him, Sap."

George shifted on the spot, offering a simple nod. God, since when were goodbyes so awkward?

"Yeah, yeah, I'll keep him safe. See ya buddy." If Sapnap felt the tension, he didn't show it. 

They watched the dirty blond leave, his boots sending the fog scattering as he stepped off the bridge. A shorter dragon melted out the shadows near the buildings, falling into step with his leader.

Quackity. 

"We can't let them have all the fun. " Sapnap whisked his hand in a flourish toward the pathway. "After you, your highness."

"Never call me that again."

"You're no fun, I was just trying to get into character as your guard."

George cast a longing glance at the bridge railing, filled with the urge to push the dragon over it.

He shook off the tempting thoughts. "Where are we going first?"

Sapnap walked casually next to him as though he hadn't narrowly dodged a murder attempt. "You'll see."

.         .         .         .