1

I woke to a scream threatening to rise out of the back of my throat. A scream that I had to hold back before I woke my entire family. A scream that could only stem from a place of fear. I think back to my dream that caused this scream to emerge, a dream of the Hunger Games. I was being chased, chased by a pack of kids; each thirsty for my blood. I woke the moment before the spear pierced my skin. 

I crawled out of bed, trying to control the shaking in my hands, trying not to imagine the day ahead of me. The Reaping Day was always hard, picked or not. It was a day where two kids fates were sealed, death promised to them. After the Reaping, it was hard to do anything but avoid thinking about anything. The truth of the present wasn't an option to think about. 

I walked down the stairs, wandering into the kitchen of our bakery. My father stands positioned by the oven, making hundreds of rolls. Any family that can afford it will be buying those rolls today to celebrate that they kept their children safe another year. But, two families will shut their doors and bolt them tonight, simply trying to make it through the next few weeks. 

A ring of the bell above our door wakes me from my thoughts of the day ahead. I stand in the doorway watching my father converse with Gale. Gale is sullen as ever, but my father is generous in his trade which breaks a smile out of Gale. He's handsome like all the girls say, but just sullen enough to keep them away. I don't let my mind think of the one thing it wants to think about, I don't let my mind acknowledge the one girl that won't keep her distance from him. 

I continue through the motions of my day, decorating cakes and cookies alike, cleaning the ovens, each task going faster than I hoped. By the time I am washing up for the Reaping, there's only an hour left of hope. 

I put on my slacks and tuck in my shirt, brushing my hair back, doing everything to look presentable. A thought slips into my mind, the type of thought you try to keep at bay. You wanna look nice if you're going to the Capitol. I shake my head, trying not to let myself imagine going to the Capitol, into the games, straight into my death. I know it won't happen. My name is in there the least amount of times it possibly could be, I've never picked us a tessera. I know I'm luckier than most in District Twelve. 

My family walks to the square together, only two of us being of age to go into the games. With a terse nod from both my parents, I head towards my age group, finding myself surrounded by my friends. Each from the town, each wearing their nicest clothes, each with no tessera entries to worry about. I can see the envy in the faces around us, the kids from the seam staring with anger in their eyes. But, I only care about one of them and she's looking at Gale. 

The mayor begins his speech, silencing us. His speech is the same as every year, simply reminding us of why we, as a population, earned the Hunger Games. The speech implying that they're an honor, while his voice suggests otherwise.  The tone of the day goes from grim to dour when he lists past victors. The list stops at two. Not much hope for District Twelve. 

At the call of his name, Haymitch wanders onto the stage yelling something no one in the crowd can understand. I understand immediately why we never win the games, we don't have the mentor to give us a fighting chance. But, we clap, because he earned it or it's customary and it would be rude not to. I watch as he hugs Effie, our districts escort. The look of disgust on her face is enough to rise a laugh out of the kids around me. A momentary distraction from the reality we're facing. 

I'm staring at the reaping ball with my name in it, it's in there five times. I ball my hands into fists, trying to stop myself from shaking with fear. My name won't be pulled, I remind myself. Effies chipper voice brings me back to the present with her shrill call of, "Ladies first!"

That's when I let my mind wander to her, I think it once, wishing it into the universe, anyone but her. 

Without a second thought, the name is read and my wish is granted. But, I realize too late that I wished wrong. I should've remembered that there was another name that would throw Katniss Everdeen into the games. Primrose Everdeen. With the call of one name, the square erupts.