#6 Mean Girls or Clueless?

I woke up the next morning to the sun shining through my window and I enjoy the brief seconds of peace before the memories of the previous night come flooding back

I grab my phone from my bedside table and switch it on. 2 missed calls from Demetri, 5 from Eli and multiple missed messages light up the screen. I sigh and throw my head back onto the pillow. I feel guilty but I can't help myself from being frustrated with them, I hate how they left Miguel to fend for himself. Not only that, but minutes prior Eli had abandoned me on the dance floor.

I roll out of bed and head towards the living room. The stench of beer shocks my senses and I am greeted by the sight of dad lying passed out on the ground surrounded by cans, something I had become quite accustomed to by now. I pick up the cans and dump them in the trash can and fill up a cup of water. I place the water with a couple of Aspirin by the sink.

After getting dressed and doing my hair, I grab my phone and head out the front door. I scan the parking lot for Carmen's car but it was gone, telling me she'd already left for work. Luckily for me, Miguel had shown me where they keep the spare key for their apartment, under the doormat, not the safest of options.

"MIGUEL" I yell stepping through the front door and heading down the hall to Miguel's room, knocking on the door. I am met with no response. "Miguel, I'm coming in, please be decent" I beg, covering my eyes and stepping into his room. Miguel is still asleep on his bed so I head over and gently shake his shoulder. Miguel's eyes scrunch tightly and he blinks sleepily as he slowly wakes up.

"Liv?"

"Morning Miggy, how are you feeling?" I ask, jumping onto the end of his bed and pulling my legs up under me. "You look like shit."

"You really know how to make a guy feel good about himself", Miguel sighs, wiping his hand over his face and wincing as he rubs over one of his many cuts.

My heart drops a little bit at this. "No, but seriously, I am so sorry about last night Migs, I am going to kill Kyler and his asshole friends when I get the chance. And, whilst I'm at it, I'm going to kill Eli and Demetri for leaving you."

"It's OK Liv, I'm OK. I am upset that mom's not going to let me do karate anymore. I finally thought I was getting good at it. And it's not their fault, a few months ago I probably would have done the same thing. I am going to talk to Sensei later anyway and see if I can convince him to continue training us incognito. " he sighs.

I frown until an idea pops into my mind, "you know, if that doesn't work, this doesn't have to be the end of karate for you. I know some stuff, WE could do some secret training" I say,  over exaggeratedly winking and nudging his arm.

A smile spreads across Miguel's face. "That's actually not too bad an idea, with the stuff you know from your dad and the stuff we have been doing already, we could keep training. And hey, maybe eventually, my mom will let me train with Sensei again".