#12 The Junkyard

After spending the day doing crazy obstacle courses and smashing old cars and furniture up at the Junkyard, Olivia and the rest of the Cobras stood looking up at Johnny who was stood on top of a van lecturing them

"Livs, come here a second" Johnny asked and reached his hand down towards her to help her up onto the van. Olivia hesitantly took his hand and let him hoist her onto the van. She furrowed her eyebrows at her father "Why do you want me up here" she began but was quickly cut off by Johnny.

"There's nothing to fear except fear itself" he yelled as he jumped off the van and walked toward the group. "You wanna win- you guys gotta be hungry. Are you guys hungry?" he asked as he handed around Slim Jims to his nodding students. After passing them around, he hopped back onto the van and smirked at the group below him. "Good, 'cause so are they". He brought out a whistle and blew hard on it. The group and Olivia looked at Johnny curiously until they heard the distant sounds of barking and realization flooded their faces.

"Oh shit" Aisha screamed as the group frantically dispersed in all directions looking for somewhere to hide or something to jump onto. "What the hell dad?" Olivia hissed but he just turned to her with a smirk before continuing "Don't be scared, they can smell fear" he yelled. Olivia rolled her eyes at her dad who seemed to be enjoying himself a little too much. "This is dangerous!" She snapped. "Yeah, I know, that's why you're up here with me" He smiled back sweetly, Olivia just huffed in response.

Olivia watched the group worriedly and was relieved to see that Miguel and Aisha, along with most of the group had found somewhere safe but was concerned to see that Eli was still running. He jumped onto a car, but it was too late and a dog got him- right in the ass. Olivia and Johnny both sucked in a sharp breath through their teeth and winced. Olivia lightly slapped her dad on the arm "I told you this was too dangerous."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Olivia and Miguel were exhausted after their day at the junkyard as they lay on Olivia's bed, staring at the ceiling, too tired to move. As Miguel looked around, his eyes fell upon a picture dangling on Olivia's fairy lights. It was a picture of a young Olivia, she can't have been more than 6 or 7, and a young woman who looked just like her. Miguel pointed toward the picture "Is that your mom?" He asked. Olivia's chest tightened as she looked over. Nobody knew about her mom, except for her dad and brother. She didn't want anyone to know her mom was dead, that her mom had chosen drugs over her, or at least that's how she saw it- she'd been too young when it happened to understand. She'd told everyone whoever asked that her mom had moved away when she was young, leaving her with her dad. She didn't want the pity that came with people finding out that your parent passed away.

"Yeah, yeah it is" Olivia whispered, her voice cracking.

Miguel looked at Olivia concerned "Do you mind if I ask where she is? You don't have to tell me". All Miguel knew is that Olivia's mother was no longer in her life.