Senior Year

The halls were full of students pushing and shoving each other to get through. The only safe place was next to a locker, like Ferbie and Fubble. Ferbie gathered a few textbooks and a binder from his locker as Fubble chatted with him.

"Well, enjoy your spare." Fubble sighed, leaning on the lockers.

Ferbie closed his locker. "I'll just be doing homework in the library. I reserved a study room to be alone." He started flipping through his binder to make sure he had the right notes.

Fubble stood straight again. "I wish we had the same spare. Instead I have calculus."

"Well, isn't Dottie in that class with you?" Ferbie asked. He closed his binder and started walking with Fubble.

"Yeah, but she's usually all into the work. It's boring." Fubble sighed. He stopped at an intersection in the halls. "Well, I'll see ya after school, assuming we're still walking together?"

Ferbie continued walking, turning so he was still facing Fubble. "Of course. Meet me at the front doors." He turned back around and continued walking to the library.

Fubble swooned as he watched him walk away. "Hey!" A sudden female voice piped up behind Fubble, startling him out of his daze. Fubble turned to see Dottie. "Did he tell you where he's going?"

"Oh!" Fubble cleared his throat. He had almost completely forgotten about their arrangement. "Yeah. He's going to study in one of the study rooms in the library."

"Cool. Thanks Fubble." Dottie speed walked past him. "Wish me luck!" She cheered.

Fubble's heart ached as he watched his friend run after Ferbie. He shook his head and continued walking to his class.

Dottie looked through the window slyly to try and find Ferbie. She saw him writing out something in his binder. Dottie took a few deep breaths before walking in, closing the door behind her. Ferbie glanced up, due to the sound, and set down his pencil when he saw her.

"Hey Dottie. Don't you have calc' right now?"

"Yes but," Dottie placed her hands on her hips. "We need to talk."

Ferbie leaned forward to display listening.

"Ferbie, I am a woman who likes being direct. I don't like playing any games. So, with that in mind, I would like to ask you to prom." Dottie stood confidently in front of Ferbie.

Ferbie's eyes widened. "Oh," He cleared his throat. "Um. Dottie, it's not that I don't like you-"

"Please," Dottie interrupted him. "It's not necessary." Dottie drooped her arms and turned to leave.

"No. Wait." Ferbie stood up. Dottie turned to face him but avoided eye contact. "It's not what you think. Please, sit. Allow me to explain." Ferbie gestured the chair to the left of him. Dottie, begrudgingly, sat down. Ferbie sat with her and leaned back. "I guess I kind of thought everyone knew already?" He ran his hand through his hair. "I mean I don't try to hide it so I guess I thought it was obvious? Anyway, uh," Ferbie met Dottie's eyes. "I'm gay. And I was kinda hoping someone else would ask me."

"Oh!" Dottie blushed. "Oh. My. Gosh I feel so stupid." She held her face in her hands.

"No, don't. You didn't know. I was the one who thought everyone knew. I thought Fubble would have mentioned it." Ferbie sighed and fiddled with his pencil.

Dottie looked at him. "I don't think he knows. He's the one who encouraged me to ask you." Dottie sighed.

Ferbie furrowed his eyebrows and bit his lip. How can he not know that I'm gay? That doesn't make any sense. The room was silent for a moment before Dottie stood up.

"I should get going to class." She walked to the door. Before opening it, she turned to Ferbie one last time. "We're still. . . Good. Right?"

Ferbie nodded. "Yes. Of course." He waved lightly and continued being distracted by this revelation.

Fubble perked up in his seat when he saw Dottie walk into the classroom. Dottie trudged to her desk. She flopped down in her seat and immediately rested her head on her desk.

Fubble frowned and patted her back. "Did it go well?"

"No! It didn't go well!" Dottie quietly snapped at Fubble. She lifted her head and glared at him. "He's gay! How could you not tell me that?"

Fubble's heart skipped a beat. He's gay? Really? I thought he was just standing up to Trent. He's gay. Could he like me? Could I finally get a chance?

"Fubble." Dottie shoved his shoulder, snapping him out of his trains of thought. "It was so embarrassing." She groaned.

Fubble wrapped an arm around Dottie to comfort her. "Awe. I'm sorry Hun. Did he say anything else?" He asked, trying to comfort Dottie but also trying to get information.

"No. Well, he said he was hoping someone else would ask him." Dottie leaned away and tried to start her work.

Fubble smiled. He clenched his hands. He started fidgeting with his hands, pencil, everything, before working up the courage to ask, "Would you totally hate me if I asked him to prom? I mean I know it's really scummy but I have liked him for so-"

"Go ahead." Dottie interrupted. She looked at Fubble. "Now that I think about it, I think he really digs you." She sighed and continued working.

Fubble grinned and started to plan out how he would ask Ferbie. He texted him, saying he was too busy to walk home with him.

***

Ferbie walked through the halls, holding a thermos of coffee. He reached his locker, hearing someone play annoyingly loud music for 7:45 in the morning. Whoever has their music playing this loud this early is begging to be punched. Ferbie thought as he opened his locker, placing his belongings inside.

"Ferbie!" Fubble's voice yelled out.

Ferbie stopped dead in his tracks and turned slowly to face Fubble. He looked around at all the other students' faces, all of whom were staring at him. He looked back at Fubble. Fubble had two balloon bundles, one on either side of him. He was holding a bristol board sign that said, "Prom?" In silver glitter glue.

Ferbie raised his hand to wave. "Uh. Hi?"

"Ferbie Man, will you go to prom with me?" Fubble responded with a bright smile.

All of the students stared at Ferbie waiting for his response. Ferbie felt his breathing speed up. He looked around him as his knees started trembling. "I- I- '' He met his gaze with Fubble's. "I can't do this." He slammed closed his locker, shoved people out of the way, and ran down the hall.

Fubble stood motionless for a moment. His heart felt like it was being squeezed by one big hand. He pulled out his phone, turned off the music, dropped the sign, and started jogging after Ferbie.

Fubble poked his head in the gym, knowing this is the direction Ferbie went. He looked to the bleachers and saw Ferbie with his hood up. He stepped up the stairs and walked along the aisle. Ferbie heard him coming. He glanced over a few times and sighed. He took deep breaths to calm the last sobs in his throat. Fubble sat down next to Ferbie. He shook his head.

"Ferbie, I am so sorry. I should have known that would have been too much-"

"Fubble. It's fine." Ferbie interrupted him. "It was a big Fubble gesture. It was really nice, it's just. . . Everyone was staring at me." He crossed his arms. "I just need a minute here before going to class." His breathing started wavering.

Fubble wrapped his arm around Ferbie, pulling him into Fubble's chest. "Okay. I'm sorry."

"You don't have to stay."

"Are you kidding me? I'm staying so we can walk together like we do everyday." Fubble chuckled lightly. He gently stroked Ferbie's hair once before resting his hand on his shoulder again.

Ferbie stayed silent for a moment before saying, "I would love to by the way. Go to prom. I want to go to prom with you."

Fubble's smile spread along his face again. "Really?"

Ferbie pulled away to look up into Fubble's eyes. "Of course."