Chapter 16

The walk was humiliating to say the least. Peter thankfully was kind enough to not tug on the leash as he lead you through the woods, but honestly it wouldn't have changed the feeling much if he did. It was clearly a power play, and one you accepted simply because you were happy to genuinely be outside for the first time since your kidnapping. Sure, you had a brief moment when you ran, but the anxiety was far too high to enjoy it.

Not that it wasn't high now though.

Silence was proving to be the majority of your time outside, save for the crunching of leaves and birds chirping before they left to go south for the winter. You didn't mind that. If Peter had begun speaking, you were sure you would've had a melt down, or lost control of yourself. You hated him. You truly did. Still, a sick part of you felt giddy to go on a walk with him, even with the collar around your throat. That part was small. No matter how small, it still made you nauseous to think about falling back in love with this psychopath.

You couldn't. No matter how much it still hurt you to realize just how different he was, no matter how many times he treated you with kindness, and fed you... it didn't matter. He is, and always will be, a monster.

Which is why you tried to pull the leash out of his hand when you saw the SWAT team surrounding the house.

Peter was faster. He had you on the ground in an instant, panic on his face as he covered your mouth with his hand. You screamed as loud as you could, struggling as much as possible, desperate to get the attention of the people searching for you.

"Stop, please. Please." Peter whispered, his whole body holding you down. "Please. Just- fuck. Fuck. Fuck."

He was frantically looking around, searching for an exit, a way out. The noises you were making, the rustling of the leaves under you... they'd catch someone's attention soon enough. If he didn't shut you up-

Fuck.

He should've brought chloroform with him.

"Baby, please. Please stop. I-I can't lose you. I can't. Calm down, please!" He whisper yelled to you.

He was crying now. Tears rolling down his cheeks. You didn't stop, you wouldn't. You couldn't. You were so fucking close to leaving now. So fucking close to getting the fuck out of this stupid ass town, with its stupid ass middle of nowhere houses... Just a little longer. Just more fighting. More struggling. More yelling.

He couldn't grab his knife while you were doing this. He couldn't knock you out without the possibility of harming you. He couldn't stop you from struggling. He couldn't... he couldn't. He just couldn't. He could kill you, and himself. Effectively protecting you from the dangers of the world, and creating the ability to see you in another world, or another time.

No. He wouldn't ever do that.

No.

He was fucked. This was it. This was where you two got separated. This was where he was going to be kept away from you for as long as possible because no one understood that he was protecting you. No one could hear the pain in your voice when you talked about your ex. No one could see the tiredness behind your eyes due to work. No one could feel the anger towards Lucy. No one else but him.

You didn't understand him. You didn't understand the motives, the reasoning, or his care for you. You just... didn't. No matter how hard he tried you would never understand. Did you... did you even care about him? Really? You'd never asked him about his past relationships. You never asked about his apartment, or his family...

Sure, you'd helped him through a rough time after he killed TK... but you didn't care about how he felt about you being in the basement.

Would you have done the same thing for him?

He went rigid.

Did you ever actually love him?

He stood up much to your surprise. It was a stupid decision, and one he'd regret, but he ran in the opposite direction of the house. He ran as fast and as far as he could away from you. He had done so much for you, and you never truly loved him. Not the same way he did. He refused to go down for someone who used him. He'd killed people for you, taken you somewhere new for protection, saved you from the life you were living. And for what? For fucking what? To get imprisoned? Killed? No.

No no.

No.

Fuck you.

Fuck you and everything you took from him.

Fuck you and everything you'd used. He wasn't going down for you. Not when you refused to accept his love, and give an equal amount. You were the problem. Not him.

You didn't even look at him run off. You ran as fast as you could to the house, tears streaming down your face as you took off the collar, throwing it against the grass of the backyard. A man held a gun to your direction before realizing who you were, and immediately yelled out that he had found you. You crashed into his body, wrapping your arms around him as you shook.

You were finally safe.

His arms went around you, one hand on the back of your head in a soft grasp. "That's it. I've got you. You're safe."

You sobbed into him, refusing to release your grip even when the other agents surrounded you. One asked where Peter went, and you didn't respond. The man holding you told the others what direction you came from, and a group of them ran towards the trees.

You would pass out from exhaustion before they were able to call an EMT to get you checked for injuries, and would wake up in the hospital with your mother at your side. She would cry and tell you how she'd missed you, and how worried she had been. The nurse would ask her to step out so you could talk to officer Ron Williams and give an informal statement.

You would proceed to be in therapy for the rest of your life, constantly looking over your shoulder for people watching you, worried that it would happen again.

Ron would be promoted for his work.

Peter was found in the woods several hours after you were removed from the scene, and would face a lifetime sentence without the chance of parole. He would end up "killing himself" while in prison, although that was just on paper. The truth of his death would never be revealed to the public, and would stay with the prison guards until their own demise.

His sister faced charges of aiding and abetting for a kidnapping in the first degree, and would be imprisoned for twenty years of her life.

After a lot of time and healing, you would get married and adopt two children with your partner, living a happy and healthy life with all of them. What Peter had done barely interfered with your life with them, and if it did, you had a larger support system than you previously had. Triggers would still come up every now and then, but you were okay.

You were safe.

And you were happy.

Although Peter is long dead, he would be happy to hear that. He might've been angry with you when he'd last seen you, but he still loved you. He wanted you to be exactly as you were. So what if he wasn't there to see you grow to that person himself? He loved you no matter what.

And even in his grave, he would continue to love you.

He was sorry he left you like that. He was sorry he had kidnapped you. And he was sorry he was the cause of your mental pain.

Honestly, if the guards hadn't killed him, he might've done it himself.

But that would never come to be, much like Peters perfect vision of you two together.

Perhaps in the next life, darling.

Perhaps.