Chapter 20

Day 183

Ofelia was surprisingly jittery, she couldn't seem to find a comfortable way to lay her hands, and her tongue was dry.
At any moment the drawbridge would lower, and Knightley and his soldiers would ride through on their tall steeds, the cool morning air swirling around them, their armour chiming with every jolt. Ofelia thought over her new achievements, over all she had been able to accomplish with him gone. How she had mistakenly grown comfortable.
She caught the gaze of Paulina which abruptly flicked away.

At the sound of a trumpet, the drawbridge was lowered, and Ofelia's heart jumped into her throat. First the overwhelming roar of Veralta's people on the sidelines of the courtyard, then a tremendous creaking sound, followed by the peaking of the sky, then the mountains, then the tips of the trees.
Ofelia held her breath as Knightley's helmet came into view.
As soon as the gate was low enough, he reared his horse high up and galloped with his men into the city, kicking up dust as he led. The people hollered wildly; flags shot up for their champion. As Knightley reached the podium, he shot his own flag into the sky, circling as men screamed to him. Ofelia drew into herself.
Finally, when he had finished making such a display of himself, he smoothly descended his steed and made his way to the podium.
Though she forced herself to hold his eye, Ofelia's hands shook. It was odd seeing him then. It had been over a month since she'd last laid eyes on him, a shock to her system after being with him every day.
He lifted his helmet and his curls popped out, splaying wildly over his head. She wouldn't even know what to say to him, would he expect her to talk? He dropped his helmet to the ground and jogged up to Ofelia. Instinctively she stepped back, placing her hands outwards from her waist. Why was he advancing on-
He wrapped his arms tight over her shoulders, resting his chin over the nook of her neck.
Ofelia tensed, and her hands froze in the air.
"Hello.", he smugly greeted, slightly turning into her cheek.
He then pulled back slightly and without any other words rested both his hands on her cheeks. She only had a moment to shoot him a shocked look before he tugged her into a kiss. His lips met hers, heat flowing off them as Ofelia should had anticipated. Even through his armour, she could feel his incredible warmth. He pressed into her and kissed her again, the only thing comprehendible being his touch. At the sound of her own breath releasing, Ofelia's eyes shot open, and she tried to pull away. Knightley stepped forward to prevent her.
What was he doing?!
The crowd screamed so loud that Knightley chuckled against her lips. It was for the crowd. Ofelia caught his eye, his steely grey irises rose to watch her through dark black lashes.
"... How have you been?", he purred in her mother tongue, tilting his head to capture her face.
Ofelia shut her mouth tight, thinning her lips. She took a step back and lowered her head, letting Knightley finish his performance.

Ofelia sat alone in her chamber, staring out the window. The snow had lessened, with Knightley, spring had arrived also, hence the twittering birds that morning. Ofelia fidgeted with her fingers. Paulina had called off her lessons in celebration for Knightley's return, she'd left her with an intriguing gaze, one that lingered longer than usual, but Ofelia had brushed it off.
It was almost instantly that Knightley had subverted Ofelia's focus. For a month she had grown, she was better in every way, she could understand her surroundings, she had learnt to dance, had practiced her swordery. Her eye had healed. But at the mere sight of him, at his forceful kiss, her focus had swiftly returned to her vow of destruction.

Ofelia didn't see Knightley for the rest of the daylight, the only time she was scheduled to see him was the evening banquet he was scheduled to host later that night.
In her chamber, a little while before the banquet, Ofelia's handmaidens readied her, bathing her, and dressing her in a deep red gown. It was after they left, when Ofelia was readying herself to leave when the little blonde maiden slipped back into the room, a hairpin in hand. Respectfully, she held it up to Ofelia to show that she had forgotten and wordlessly made her way over. It was silent as things always were. Ofelia wanted to talk to her, but she couldn't lead on that she knew how to speak. The maidens were her only source of information, she couldn't blow it for niceties. The young girl also opened her mouth for a moment but returned to her silence. Ofelia sighed. The girl pinned her hair up, and Ofelia sat deflated, staring at the ground.
When it came time for the girl to depart, Ofelia stretched her hand out and grabbed the girl's hand. The girl hesitantly looked to her.
Ofelia gulped and held a hand to her chest. For a moment she gaped at her words, she had hesitated on saying anything at all, and now that she wanted to speak, she had nothing to tell.
The girl waited, her big inquisitive eyes speaking volumes.
It came to her as she watched, and Ofelia's throat dried up. Perhaps it was an odd thing to share, most likely meaningless to the girl in front of her.
Ofelia shut her mouth. But maybe it was time to share the name that had grown so sacred to her, and if not to the young girl who had spared her a smile, who else? Her eyes softened, and she pressed her fingers to her heart, "... Ofelia."
The girl drew back, catching on. She politely curtsied before in a small, but joyous voice repeated her own name, "Olivia."

-

It was a full room by the time Ofelia entered and at her arrival everyone halted their conversations, staring at her.
"Behold!... The Queen!", A speaker called, and Ofelia watched as the crowds bowed in unison, lowering themselves, old and young. It was then that Ofelia caught the eye of Knightley, his gaze leering, yet analytical. Ofelia softly sighed. She had returned to the games. Ofelia made her way across the room before being seated by a waiter at the end of the table, beside Knightley. The crowd waited silently for a moment but returned to their happy bustling at the wave of Knightley's hand, their chatter resounding over the table. Everyone around them spoke, conversed happily with each other, but the silence between Ofelia and Knightley was deafening.
He lowered his cup, interlocking his fingers. He tilted his head to her, his eyes flicking over her features. "You look strong.", He suddenly stated, a small grin lining his lips.
Ofelia stared at her empty cup, fiddling her fingers under the table. She didn't know what to say. She was stronger physically, but it was apparent that his arrival had already begun to send her spiralling. She nodded. Perhaps she should at least appear to still bear spirit. She looked to him, "It's because I'm not being starved.", she carelessly said, turning back to her cup.
Knightley chuckled and licked his lips, "I see you haven't changed much."
"Neither you.", she shot back clenching her jaw.

When Ofelia had festered in anger for the evening and Knightley had tired of the meaningless chatter, he gave his thanks and initiated leave, encouraging Ofelia to tag along behind him. As soon as they rounded the corner, out of sight, she ripped her hand from his palm and wiped it on her dress.
Knightley chuffed and turned to her, crossing his arms, "... I see that you're not particularly cheery this evening, may- "
"I'm not- "
"Let me finish."
Ofelia stared him down, white noise flooding her ears as she grit down on her teeth.
Knightley grinned from ear to ear, poking his tongue against his cheek. He laughed before draping his eyes over Ofelia, "I can sense that you may be... upset.", he started, his gaze falling over her hips, "May I ask what your reasoning is- ?"
"Yes. I am upset- "
"-Respectfully.", Knightley finished, his eyes flicking back to Ofelia's.
Ofelia shut her mouth tight. It was so fast. So fast that she had gone from recovery to obliteration. She was so angry, so furious. But like a click of the fingers, she had lost it again. Her gaze morphed from fiery rage to deflation, and she sighed.
"Okay.", she whispered, beginning to round him. Knightley frowned and turned his head as she walked past him.
Ofelia heard his footsteps hesitantly trail her.
"... Where's-... Say it.", He incredulously chuckled, jogging to reach her again.
Ofelia looked down to her hands, walking in silence.
"Girl- "
"That's not my name.", Ofelia flatly muttered.
Knightley chuckled and grabbed her arm, Ofelia stopped without a fight. Again, she sighed, staring to the ground.
"Oh, stop it. What is the matter with you?", Knightley laughed.
Ofelia would have given anything to react differently then, anything to have fought him, to have left him wondering, grasping at the air. But instead, tears stung at her eyes and she gulped at the tightness in her throat.
Knightley frowned and stepped closer, "... Why are you so upset- ?"
"Do you really not know?", Ofelia whispered, looking up to him. She could feel her eyes shine with tears and her breath hitched.
Knightley closed his mouth as he surveyed her face.
Ofelia searched his eyes and at his silence slumped a little, "... I'm... tired Knightley.", she breathed before glancing away. She didn't wait for another answer, and he didn't fight to stop her as she walked back to their chamber, wiping at a sniffle.