Chapter 27

Day 194

"Behold!... The Queen."
Perhaps once an unsettling comment, drawing attention to a rather shy Ofelia, now came as a timely invitation, a command for all to sit up straight and behave.
Ofelia glided through the doors, hands clasped, chin high, posture strict.
But she giggled as she sat beside Knightley.

Knightley waved his hand, and the crowd lifted their heads.
Perhaps once a monumental gesture, an incredible thing to watch as an entire table of powerful men followed a silent, careless command, then only showed itself as a missed opportunity for Ofelia to have people bowed at her feet for longer.
She swiftly flattened her skirts, sat straight, rested her elbows on the table, placed a gentle hand to her collarbone.
Then she grinned wildly, slightly leaning into Knightley's side.
He frowned, looking down to her head resting on his shoulder.
She stared up to him, doe eyed and rosy cheeked. She smiled. "Hello, my darling.", she mumbled, loud enough for the few sitting around them to hear, but quiet enough to seem authentic.
Knightley's curious eyes darkened in realisation. It was hard for Ofelia not to grin. He knew that her efforts were calculated; that she was putting on an act. And though his next move was harsh, it was smart she had to admit.
With a glint in his eye, Knightley turned his head and shared a noticeably tedious look with a man beside him. He then chuckled before moving Ofelia off him. A meticulous blend of sly purposeful movements showing him as a simple hero in a sticky situation. King Knightley gently pushed Ofelia away, his silly little foreign wife that had simply drunk too much, and who clearly suffered a blinding unrequited infatuation.
Ofelia followed command and sat up, gathering her hands together. That was a hard blow to deflect.
She sat still for a moment.
Perhaps, she would have to play the game.
But who was she to play as? Perhaps she could play the victim. Neglected wives were a soft spot of her community. Or perhaps she could share a similar sly look to a counterpart, show that she knew more than she led on. She frowned.
Instead, she rose, pushing herself upwards by her fingertips on the oak table.
The crowds silenced, and Knightley looked up to her. Again, they shared a glance.
Ofelia lightly smirked before turning out to the people. Their eyes lingered on her bruises.
Big smile. Big smile. Big smile.
"Thank you for coming everyone, what a joyous occasion this is!", Ofelia happily cheered, her voice audibly coarse, her throat sore. Happy hollers resounded back. She clasped her hands at her chest, tittering, "Wow.", she heartily sighed, how grateful she was for the wine that released her words, "What blessings we share tonight, to sit and enjoy the wonderful meals amongst each other's great company.", she spread her arms to the table, gently holding the eyes of those seated, "Thank you all for the beautiful letters enquiring of my wellbeing- ", there were none, "-and thank you all for your prayers- ", there were none, "-I have been recovering well from them.", she bowed, before slightly turning to Knightley.
He was smart. Perhaps a foolish King would be worried, would be on the edge of a public outburst, would show it. But King Knightley's face was regular, as if this was a simple joyous speech.
"And my dear, dear- ", gag, "-King. Thank you for all your kind efforts in preserving my safety.", she turned to the crowd, holding a hand to the side of her face as if to hide the words from him, "I'll have you know that this King of Veralta has not left my side, he is so caring. You would be surprised at his sensitivity." The women cooed and their husbands chuckled. Ofelia then opened her arms again, resting a hand on Knightley's shoulder. She then pulled a bitter face, "... But yes, on a more serious note, I do feel as though I should formally address the situation that no doubt has hung over all our heads... especially my dear husband's, the King."
Knightley tensed, and Ofelia made a show of gently caressing his skin, as if she was comforting him. "Bless his heart.", she painfully whispered, sparing him another look before turning back to the crowd. "Yes, it is true. Five nights ago, an attacker snuck past the guard and into my chambers.", It was all ears, "And as well-trained assassins do, he no doubt made his way through the townsfolk, through our very houses, most likely through our rooms, most certainly through mine.", It was silent, "...An infiltrator...", she paused. Holding the eyes of those around her. She had to inspire fear. "... I say this to protect you all, because in my short time here I have come to love Veralta. So much so that I just must share with you this truth, no matter the harshness of it.", her throat tightened, and she cleared it. It was well timed, "As a mother to her children, I urge you all to stay safe... It truly could be any of us. What difference is a queen to a duke? To a prince? To a princess? All of us here tonight are of sufficient importance... Enough so to inspire fear in the hearts of our dear Kingdom- ", Knightley stilled, "We could be used this way by the enemy- ", Ofelia continued to caress his shoulder, "Or worse we could accidently use our enemy to separate us.", Ofelia moved to his neck, cupping it in her hand. His pulse was surprisingly fast. "... We have to watch out for each other... by being wary of each other.", Ofelia quietly affirmed, "No doubt these efforts will unify us as a people. Showing care for our households always does. Please, watch your neighbours, the people above, besides, and below you. We cannot possibly know who the traitors are, who secretly festers the intent of destroying this fine nation. And do keep in mind, my fellow leaders...", Ofelia paused, to truly snatch their entire attentions, "... That the people beneath our feet, those doing our dirty work... Are the most likely to revolt.", she took in each face staring back at her, "And in such a strikingly complex time we live in, we simply cannot afford that.", She then lightly shook her head, as if to be relieved to spit something so heavy, "But, on a lighter note friends, we have everything we need. Wine, music and- ", She closed her mouth and struggled to spit her words out. She danced on her tongue. She glanced to George who sat at the far end of the table. His childlike looks. She hadn't spoken to him in too long.
"... -and the support of our families."
The crowd was quiet, and all eyes were on Ofelia. She held everyone there in the centre of her palm. They were listening. She lifted the smile that she had forgotten to maintain back to her lips, "But, of course friends, I do not mean to startle you.", she gently sang, "I mean to help you, to provide a sanctuary in all I can. Please, friends, turn to me if you need... Because I will always be here."
Ofelia then lifted her hand from Knightley's skin and brought it to her other, smiling before bowing. The table clapped at her speech, and in their tense silence, Ofelia turned to Knightley who sat staring at her.

-

"I know what you are doing.", Knightley chimed assoon as he and Ofelia stood in the privacy of her chambers. His tone was strange,and Ofelia couldn't decipher what he was thinking. It was unsettling, but shedid her best to hide it.
"I know.", Ofelia sighed, pulling away her outer garments. Never had a womanneeded so many layers for a gathering inside.
Knightley watched her remove her layers. He crossed his arms.
Ofelia then reached behind her to undo the strings holding her large dresstogether, "Your Kingdom's clothing is... ridiculous.", she whined, pulling atwhat she could.
Knightley's jaw ticked, but his gaze held strong, following her every move.
Ofelia finally removed her garment and draped her clothes over her vanitychair, smoothing out her silky undergarment.
She then turned to Knightley. He was thinking over something. Ofelia sighed."If you're going to kill me, please do so soon.", she grumbled, tiredly walkingto her window, "I no longer enjoy surprises.", she sighed before shutting hercurtains. She then let down her hair and walked to her bed, gingerly liftingthe covers. She spared Knightley a glance.
He truly was staring at her.
Ofelia considered a moment whether to spare another word, and at his silenceshe most certainly felt the need to. But she hesitated. Knightly was a man ofthoughtful and well calculated words; he would not bother to say anything if hedid not mean to sway her in some way. So, to avoid that situation, she slidunder the quilts and made herself comfortable, turning away from him.
Ofelia closed her eyes to sleep, though she knew it would not come to her.
"... You are the biggest threat to my reign...", He started, his voice distant butclear. He usually left before Ofelia laid to rest, and though he was lingeringlonger than usual, she held fast to her hope that he would do so again tonight.
Ofelia opened her eyes and stared to her closed window.
"... Never have I had a person so high in my court in which I so thoroughlydistrust.", he continued, "One that I have put there myself."
Ofelia's brows dug in.
He fell silent yet again. For a moment, and then a minute. Maybe Ofelia couldhave fallen asleep if his presence wasn't so domineering. He was there. It wasso noticeable. He was there. He was there. He was there. She heard hisfootsteps behind her and at his movement she finally turned.
She held his eye.
"... It is your own fault.", she said, coarsely. Why was it that whenever hewanted to argue, the controlled atmosphere she'd built for herself threatenedto dissolve immediately? "I did not ask for this."
Knightley's stern features shifted, his perked lip visiting yet again. Helooked toward the bedpost before lazily leaning on it, as if someone of hissize and strength could tire from a mere conversation.
"It is true...", he responded, squinting. His voice sounded like how meltedchocolate tasted. "You are a product of my own making.", he continued, and hisbrows dug down as he smirked, "And despite your ill intentions, I find myselfrather... intrigued. Your speech tonight was... fascinating to watch.", He darklychuckled, "Though, you must admit... I was right."
Ofelia frowned, and a dangerous feeling settled in her gut.
"... What?", she cautiously questioned.
Knightley's eyes darkened, "You are exceptional. Adaptable as I remembersaying to you once.", he answered, his eyes following her hands as she broughtthem to her chest, "You have adapted to this court... and beat them attheir own games- "
"Do not separate yourself from this court.", Ofelia spat, watching asKnightley's face lit up further, "I did not beat them at their games.I am beating you and your games."
Knightley grinned the widest that Ofelia had seen him do yet.
He chuckled deeply, poking his tongue in his cheek, "... I truly do haveexceptional taste."
"I will beat you, you know?", Ofelia grumbled, burrowing back into her blanket.
Knightley tilted his head again, his gaze flowing down her figure hidden underthe blanket, "... Hm...", He hummed, his eyes narrowing on her hips. Ofelia'sfingers fidgeted under the blanket.
"But again, your speech.", he continued, his eyes flicking back to hers, "Iparticularly enjoyed the way you turned the crowed against the lower and middleclasses. An interesting turn I did not predict. What was your reasoning?"
Ofelia glared at him.
"They are the masses I suppose.", He muttered, his sharp eyes boaringinto Ofelia's, "A revolution would most certainly be detrimental to my reign."
"Perhaps they are the backbone of this Kingdom.", Ofelia calmly retorted,sitting up slightly, "A backbone that has been neglected and abused by thosewho view themselves better than them. Perhaps I am familiar with their outlook."
Knightley grinned and lifted himself off the post, "Do tell me more. How I findyour mind fascinating.", he analytically chuckled. Then, in an unexpected turnof events, lowered himself onto Ofelia's bed, sliding under the covers.
"What are you- "
"Do not kill me in my sleep, my Queen.", Knightley purred, settling himself in.He spared a moment to turn and face her, and whilst he did, he drank in herface, "... It would be most boring."
Ofelia watched him as he turned away from her.
"And, ", he continued, finally laying his head to rest, "Who will protect youif you are attacked again?"