Chapter 29

Day 204

Veralta was weakened.
The reports had fuelled more reports, and will the influx of 'criminals', the people were angsty. They were wary of each other.

Ofelia sat by a dining room window, a teacup in hand, looking over the land. Everyone looked so small, the few that hadn't holed up in their homes that is.
She sipped her tea.

It was time for the final banquet, she had decided, but she was cautious. Knightley, still after numerous days, had not made any clear efforts to defame or attack her. It seemed he was waiting for the banquet as she was.
Perhaps, with blunt words he would simply say, 'This woman has bad intentions for you, and this is how she is exercising it' and as King, his words would be believed over hers. Maybe he simply wanted to kill her, make an example of her.
Either way, Ofelia wasn't backing down and would take what was handed to her. He would deceive her in some way or another, and there was no way to be prepared for what he would do, she accepted.
She sighed and took her final sip of her tea.

As per request, a banquet was organised. A final banquet, the biggest of them all and everyone was to arrive. It was mandatory.
For the week, Ofelia was dress tested, prepared with goat milk baths, oils and essences on her skin, creams in her hair, varnishes on her nails.
She was a sight to see, even at first wake.
By the end of the week, the night before she was to present, she stood tall and beautiful. Captivating. Her hair was cut just below her shoulders, her nails grown long, her skin shimmering, glittering under the right light. She had been fed so particularly that her undertones matched the dress she was to wear, and her eyes were vibrant.
A perk lifted on the side of her lips.
She looked perfect.

It was those nights prior that Knightley still slept by her side. Nights where Ofelia looked over to see his wild black hair. Nights where she'd kept her hands to herself, avoiding feeling it between under her fingertips.
Nights where her heart thundered and where her stomach twisted itself in knots.

But it was the last night before Ofelia's banquet where those feelings which she had managed to control troubled her to the point of feeling sick.
She shot up, hours past when she had first fallen asleep, sweating, and breathing raggedly. A nightmare, the worst of what she had last endured, had struck her and she heaved a breath.
Instantly she looked to her window. She remembered the last result of her nightmare.
She glanced to Knightley's sleeping form, gulping as she did.
Surely, he would be awake if there was an infiltrator.
She stared at him whilst listening for the room. It was silent and sounded as usual. She rubbed her face.
"Ofelia.", Knightley grumbled, seemingly half asleep, "There is no one there."
Ofelia lowered her eyes, lifting a hand to her heart. The pounding in her neck began to subside, the tenseness following afterward.
She nodded and inhaled deeply.
At her silence, Knightley turned to her.
Ofelia glanced down to him.
He frowned, "... Is your skin... shimmering?"
Ofelia held his eye. How could he even see that? "Yes, it is ground pearl.", she responded.
Knightley looked her over again before turning to her fully.
"It looks good.", He confusedly said, his voice deep and husky. He stared at her for a moment.
Ofelia glared at him. Her stomach fluttered. "What is it?"
He grinned before shooting an arm out to her, tugging her to him.
Ofelia resisted for a moment, but truly if Knightley wanted something, he would win every time. It was a waste of energy for Ofelia to struggle.
"Where is your fight?", Knightley jeered as he laid to his back, tugging Ofelia over his chest.
Ofelia retracted her hands.
It was unfair the way her body reacted to him. The way her fingers instantly shook, the way her stomach instantly jittered. She followed him with her eyes.
"Do not act so opposed to me, Ofelia.", He sniggered, lifting a hand to her neck.
Ofelia closed her eyes. She didn't want to have these reactions.
He lifted a hand of hers by the wrist to his lips, kissing her veins. Her nerves sizzled.
"Why do you resist me so?", Knightley whispered, then kissing her palm, "What purpose does it serve you?"
Ofelia struggled to think past his words.
Why did she resist him? She moved upwards on his chest, her eyes falling on Knightley's lips.
Her words felt odd on her tongue, "Because... ", she started, her voice slow, "I know you will destroy me tomorrow."
Knightley moved both hands to the side of her face, running a thumb over her brow, then cheekbone. "And what does that have to do with tonight?", He purred tilting his head to the side.
Ofelia truly couldn't lift her eyes from his lips. Her heart ached; it began to throb. And a surprising tightness settled in her throat.
"I hate surprises.", Ofelia croaked, a deep sadness overcoming her.
Knightley truly did mean to destroy her. He had been waiting, had been patient. It was how the world worked, all good things came to those who waited.
Knightley smiled, running his thumb over her lips.
"All in due time, then.", He murmured, pulling her face down to his.
Ofelia near whimpered when he kissed her, and her eyes teared when she finally held his face in her hands. His hands held her down to him, by the neck and by the small of her back.
It was bitter, heart wrenching for Ofelia. Knightley kissed her as strange and mysterious as she knew him. But it was so familiar, and it was all she knew. She pulled herself tighter to him and followed as he enveloped her to him, suffocating her.
It was when she cried that he finally lifted his lips from hers, a tear drop landing on his cheek.
He swiped a thumb over her wet cheek and Ofelia glanced to the side.
He didn't say anything and the silence of the room thickened.
He held his thumb on her cheek and Ofelia could feel him staring at her.
When she turned back to him, he searched her eyes.
His jaw clenched.
He then squeezed her against him tighter and forcefully kissed under her eyes, threading his hands through her hair.
Ofelia sniffled but leaned into his kiss.
It was a sad, sad evening for Ofelia. Knightley's intoxicating kiss duelling her hatred for him, her terror for what she feared he was about to do.