P R O L O U G E

Mom and I were just getting home when we heard screaming, followed by an animalistic growl. We saw Dad come to the window of the living room before he slumps to the ground.

" Dad! "

I yelled running towards the house. Mom was still in shock. She snaps out it and yells after me.

" Elena don't it's not safe. "

She yells.

But all her pleas were in vain because all I cared about was getting to my father.
I ran into the house all I saw was blood everywhere. I couldn't stop the blood-curdling scream that left my lips.

" Dad!!!!! "

I scream as I take in the sight of my Dad's lifeless body on the ground. Everything felt unreal. I looked at the monster that did it. It looked like a mix of wolf and human. It's a Lycan. I was about to scream again when there was a ringing in my ear and all I wanted to do was to drown out the noise.

" This can't be happening? "

I say stepping back through the front door in shock. I found the front lawn and dropped to my knees. My head was spinning and all I wanted to do is curl up in a ball. My mind was unable to process what I saw. My mother's screams were heard when she saw what I did. I was unable to move so I couldn't go to her. As Mom kept screaming the earth beneath me started to shake. I wobbled to my feet and go to my mother.

" Mom, are you doing this? "

I asked, but she just keeps screaming. The shaking doesn't stop so I grabbed hold of her and pulled her into my arms.

" Mom calm down. "

I begged. She stopped screaming and the shaking stopped. She looks at me and says,

" I'm sorry. "

My mother was apologizing and I didn't understand why.

" Mom we need to call the police. They have to know about Dad. "

I say around the lump that formed in my throat.

Mom did what I suggested after she called the police and showed up moments after. When they did we stayed out of our home which has now become a gruesome crime scene. Mom and I looked on as they took my father's body away and crime scene tapes were placed across our front door. Mom takes out her cellphone and makes another call.

" Jared, Daniel is dead and they are back, you know who I mean. "

Mom says.

" Mom, who's Jared? And who's they?"

I asked.

" He's your father's twin brother. "

Mom says answering one of my questions. I give her the are you quizzical look before saying,

" I have an uncle? "

She nods, but I don't pry both Mom and I have had enough for one night. She lost a husband and I have lost a father.

" Your uncle will be here in two weeks. "

Mom says wiping her tears. I could see that she is trying to be strong for the both of us but I knew better. This is a lot to swallow.