ғᴏᴜʀᴛᴇᴇɴ

"Are you sure you don't want to come along? Or that we don't have to stay?"

Madelyn looked up from her phone and saw her two best friends standing in the hall, ready to go out for dinner. She had asked them to leave the house tonight yesterday so she and Max could be alone. When she told them about her plan yesterday, they were more than excited to leave the apartment for the evening. But now that Max had turned her down because of his double date with god knows who, they didn't feel like leaving their friend behind in an empty apartment.

"Yes, I'm sure," Madelyn smiled at the girls, trying to hide the little sadness still present in her body. Some may say she's overreacting, but she felt like she and Max were really connecting on a different level these past couple of weeks. So when he said he had a double date this evening, it hurt her more than it should.

"Call us if you need us," Isla pointed at her with a demanding look.

"Yes, mommy," Madelyn chuckled with a child's voice and watched as Ellis and Isla left the apartment. Once she heard the door shut, she let herself slump back onto the sofa with a deep sigh. Now that her great idea didn't go through, she had no plans for this Wednesday evening. She couldn't join the girls for dinner since she was flying to Portugal tomorrow, and she couldn't show up to her team with a hangover.

Madelyn stood up from the couch to walk over to the kitchen. She opened the fridge, only to see she had nothing for dinner for tonight. She knew she had forgotten to do something today. Another sigh rolled over her lips as she closed the fridge door. She bit her bottom lip, doubting if she should order food or go to the supermarket so she could make her dinner. As she didn't feel like leaving the apartment tonight, she decided to order some food. She walked back to the sofa and searched for her phone, eventually finding it between two pillows. She opened the app and searched for her favourite restaurant. It was a little expensive, but she thought she was allowed to treat herself on this night on her own.

Just when she wanted to tap the order button, a couple of knocks were heard on the front door. She laid her phone down on the coffee table standing in front of her and got off the couch to walk over to the door. She opened it, allowing Max to appear in her vision with a plastic bag filled with warm food in his hand.

"Hey, are you hungry?" He smiled as he held up the back in front of her. A little stunned, Madelyn looked at him. She did not expect him to show up on her doorstep this evening.

"What are you doing here? I thought you had a double date?" She asked, surprised to say at least.

"I cancelled it. You said you wanted to discuss the plans for this weekend, so here I am. And you're probably way more fun to spend the night with than that girl Bradley tried to set me up with," he shrugged like he didn't care about that date, which he didn't. "Are you going to let me in, or do I have to eat this delicious pasta all by myself?"

"Of course," she chuckled and took a step back to let the Dutchman in. She closed her front door behind them and followed him further into the apartment.