Chapter 20- Letting go

Oliver made another left turn as they approached a church. She watched as dozens of people-some that she didn't even know or remember- walked in the church. Oliver got out and Felicity didn't realize she was staring until Oliver made his way over to her side of the car opening the door for her.

She took Oliver's hand, intertwining her fingers gracefully with his. She let her body fall behind his arm a little and Oliver lead her inside. She had a reserved seat at the front and so did Oliver. There were individual kleenex boxes on each chair. Felicity set aside the box of kleenexes and leaned into Oliver, seeking comfort. Everyone settled down and the man at the front began talking. Felicity repeated every phrase. She noticed how carefully everything was laid out. Her moms favourite flowers- sunflowers- Were placed beside her coffin. There was a little reef of leaves with a few big sunflowers and a picture of her in the middle. She was wearing the dress that Felicity bought with her. In the picture, she was sitting on a bench outside, with a tree in the background. It was a portrait picture, so it was closeup. Felicity remembered the time she bought that dress for her mom.

"Hey Felicity, how do you like this one?" Donna pulled out a blue dress that had a small circle taken out of the back and it dipped low in the front.

"It looks great mom," Felicity gave her mom a smile.

"Great i'll try it on" Her mom took a while in the change room, probably admiring herself, and came out to show Felicity the dress. She twirled around and looked back at Felicity. "How do you like it?"

"I'll get it for you. You deserve it. It looks great on you."
Felicity's mom smiled and went back into the change room to get back into her own clothes.

Felicity's memories were interrupted when she heard the crowd repeat a prayer. She prayed with them. "Our father, Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy name; Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen." She heard sniffles in the back of the church which let her know that she didn't have to hold back her tears. Her throat ached from holding them in all day. Finally, she let her eyes fill with tears and all her memories came back rushing back. The first time the learnt to ride a bike, her fishing trips, camping, helping her with homework, and to the time she graduated college. Her mom was always there. A tear slipped out from her eye and Oliver looked over at her, noticing her unsteady breaths, and wrapped his arm around her.

Everyone waited in the church until they could go out for the casket burial. The man came in and signalled everyone outside. Felicity and Oliver were first, along with everyone else that was in the first row. The people in the second row followed and so on.

Everyone gathered outside and watched as the casket was lowered into the ground. Felicity buried her face in Oliver's arm and he hugged her, pulling her into his chest. She looked back at the casket with teary eyes and took one of the flowers she brought with her into her other hand. She had two flowers-one was a yellow sunflower, and the other was a blue one. She tossed the yellow sunflower onto the casket and kept the blue one with her. She was to cherish this flower forever. Oliver gave her a big hug and she bent down, grabbing a handful of dirt in her hand, and tossed it onto the casket with the flower. Oliver did the same, knowing it would mean a lot to her. He didn't bother to dust off his hands.

Everyone gathered in another building for snacks. Felicity clung onto Oliver and buried her face, making a wet puddle on his sleeve. Everyone got their snacks and sat at the nicely set tables.

"I need some air. Ill be right back," Felicity didnt bother to make eye contact with Oliver.

"Felicity are you sure," Oliver forced his hand up to touch her face, letting his finger guide her face to look up to his eyes.