𝘃𝗲𝗻𝗴𝗲𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲 | s8 llorumi

❝ So I'm sorry to my unknown lover
Sorry that I can't believe
That anybody ever really
Starts to fall in love with me ❞

PART 1
the palace

FIREWORKS SPRINKLED ONTO the azure-painted canvas with a rainbow of colours, replacing the serenity of night with sonorous bangs, awakening the princess from her slumber. Groggily, she slid open the door of her balcony, and laid her arms onto the wooden railings as her dark soul lit up at the sight brightening the blackness of night. Scarlet lanterns illuminated the city like stars spattered across the sky, and she smiled. She smiled a smile laced with sincerity; a smile that glistened her silver eyes in sorrow stirred with sentimentality; silver eyes which shimmered with longing.

Dragon mascots danced like waves on the streets, carried by men in crimson with faces concealed by oni mask replicas. Men, women and children followed the dragon merrily with large grins stretching their lips, their happy eyes reflecting the red glow of the swaying lanterns hanging on strings tied to pairs of buildings. Sticks hit skin to form melodies lifting the spirits of pedestrians celebrating new year's eve. Fireworks flooded the inky sky, washing hues of saturated colours to grey clouds, vanquishing the sapphire dye. Chaos reigned Ninjago City with harmonious noise.

A pair of metallic eyes gawked at her surroundings, platinum plaits flying as she twirled with her fingers entwined with her father's, as though she were a princess waltzing in a palace ballroom. Folk tales had bloomed her desire to dress in silk gowns and wear crowns as she glided across the palace floors as if it were her home. Once frozen to the spot, admiration shining in her eyes as she stared at the dragon's head, her mother's warm fingers weaved together with hers.

"Could we come closer, Mama, Papa?" she asked, her head twisting to her mother, then father. She tugged their hands downward, hopping up an down agitatedly.

Her father's voice although deep, dripped with gentleness as he accepted her request. The small family joined the crowd around the dragon, holding each other tightly. Her mother's eyes watched her daughter with affection, and she squeezed the blonde's tiny hand. "Don't let go, Rumi. The crowd's huge and you're small."

"We'll always be by your side."

A broken promise caused a broken heart. The howling wind stung her eyes, tears threatening to stream down her cheeks as she inhaled a sharp breath, before releasing a trembling one. Her teeth stabbed into her ruby lip to suppress whimpers; to suppress any weaknesses from escaping. She crushed her eyelids together, scalding liquid seeping out her eyes the louder her mother's voice grew, the more memories flashed before her eyes. She yearned to feel her mother's thumb caressing her cold cheeks; she yearned to feel her mother's lips against her skin, whispering reassurances as darkness brought her to dreamland.