CHAPTER VIII

eight || 08.

WOLF'S BANE

WOLF'S BANE.

"Tell us how you came into the professor's care." The three girls, not being far from camp, walked along the edge of a stream. Their bare feet carefully picked their way along the rocky shore.

    Clara looked up towards the sky for a moment as she held her hands out to balance herself.

She didn't know quite how to explain her situation to Susan and Lucy as it was far different from theirs. "Well... I..." Clara huffed in frustration when her mouth and brain couldn't come up with a proper sentence to say.

    She wasn't even so sure she knew what truly happened herself, since it was a number of years ago now. Not to mention, how reliable was a seven-year-old's memory?

"When I was little..." She looked towards the two girls to make sure they were following, and continued when she saw their attentive eyes watching her every move. "My mother decided she could no longer take care of me due to... unforeseen circumstances. Truthfully, I have no clue what her reason was. I sure hope it was a good one, though."

Clara sighed and dipped her toes into the edge of the stream and buried them beneath the pebbles. "She left me on my grandfather's doorstep and ran off." Lucy gasped and held onto Clara's hand, squeezing lightly.  She appreciated the comfort and squeezed back.

    Susan looked towards the ground and pressed her lips into a fine line. "Did she ever send you any letters?" She asked.

    Clara moved away from the stream and towards an oak tree that was bent slightly to the side. "At first. But grandpa told me that they eventually stopped coming." Susan made a small noise, one of pity, as the two Pevensie girl's moved to the tree with her. "Let's change the subject now, please." Clara chuckled, propping herself up against the base of the tree.

Susan took a moment to rack her brain, then felt the fabric of her dress. Although it was gorgeous, she could not figure out whether she liked it's scratchy texture or not. "Mum hasn't had a dress like this since before the war."

Before the war. From her sheltered life in her grandfathers house, Clara hadn't seen much of the consequences of the war. But every once in a while she was able to listen to the radio that played in the kitchen.

She heard awful stories of bombs and death and was selfishly glad she lived in the countryside.

"We should bring her one back!" Lucy smiled as she ran back to the edge of the river. "A whole trunk full!"