CHAPTER XVII

seventeen | 17.

TRUSTING PERSUASION

TRUSTING PERSUASION.

"Clara, wake up!" Clara's eyes snapped open, her vision focusing on Edmund as he shook her awake.

    The sky had gone from midnight black to a light blue and she tried to remember when she had fallen asleep. Clara sat up, rubbing her face lazily. "What time is it?"

    "Lucy and Peter are gone."

    Clara sprang up from her place on the plush grass, sword already thrown across her back.  "Do we have any idea where they could be?" She asked as Trumpkin, Susan, and Edmund trailed behind her.

    "I saw muddy footprints to the east." Susan said, bow drawn with an arrow expertly notched. Clara nodded and let Susan lead the way, the four pushing through the oak and birch forest.

    It took a while for any other signs to appear, but eventually, Trumpkin found a red thread from Lucy's dress. Clara could feel that they were somewhere nearby.

    They continued on with their new evidence noted until they heard voices softly in the distance. Trumpkin held a finger to his lips, sneaking forward to get a better view of who they were hearing.

    Clara itched with impatience. The dwarf was going much too slow! "Blast this!" She said loudly, huffing and running directly toward the noise. Edmund and Susan immediately gave chase, their voices calling her name desperately.

    If they had waited any longer to strike, what good would that do? Lucy and Peter could be struck down by some rabid beast already!

    "Peter!" She shouted successfully, though directly across from him was certainly no rabid beast.

Instead, a rather attractive boy with chocolate eyes aimed Peter's sword toward her, his dark curtain bangs framing his angular face rather pleasantly.

    He must've been Caspian, the Telmarine Prince that Trumpkin had told them about. He was the one that blew Susan's horn and summoned the five back to Narnia.

    He reminded her of someone, though she couldn't quite put her finger on it.

    Surrounding him were hundreds of Narnians which ranged from centaurs to minotaurs. Although they looked ready to fight, Clara felt a sense of relief at having found her people.

    "High Queen Clara?" He said slowly, eyes trained on her glowing pendant, as if he couldn't believe his eyes.

Clara turned towards Caspian and almost let out a loud guffaw at her title, not having heard it in quite a while. She was surprised he even recognized her from her necklace alone.