CHAPTER IX.

nine || 09.

IMPERTINENCE AND ORDER

IMPERTINENCE
AND ORDER.

    AFTER the chaos of that morning, Clara was far too frightened to be on her own so she stayed in Lucy and Susan's tent with them.

    Her dress was now dry and her hair was undone, the brunette waves falling down her back to her waist.

    She had remained silent for a while now. Aslan said that the wolf would lead the group to Edmund, but it was already almost sunrise and there was still no sign of the dark-haired boy.

    Clara looked down at the black and white coat in her hands, her fingers carefully gliding across it.

    It already felt like forever since he had left them and yet it was only a couple days. "Do you miss him, too?"Lucy saw her friend's lost expression and moved from her cot over to Clara's and sat beside her, also letting her hand run over the coat.

    "I hardly know him." Clara muttered with a soft smile in the young girl's direction, trying to hide her emotions. "Well... I hardly know you and I still think of you as my sister!" She chirped, her rosy cheeks pushing up as she smiled happily.

    Despite everything that had happened, Lucy remained a positive force of energy for everyone.

    The sharp blaring of a horn, or perhaps a trumpet, made the girls perk up and listen. Susan stood up and brushed her dress off. "Dinner is almost ready. Will you two be coming with me?" She asked, heading for the entrance.

    Without responding verbally, Lucy followed like a little duckling but looked back towards Clara curiously when she stayed put.

    Clara's lips pushed together tightly. She hadn't felt the slightest bit hungry, but she pushed off of the bed anyway. "Just give me one second, okay? I'll catch up."

    The two girls nodded and exited the tent, their footsteps slowly getting quieter and quieter as they walked farther away.

    Clara heaved a sigh. She shifted the coat from hand to hand until she couldn't bare to hold its weight anymore and threw it on top of a chest in the corner of the room. If they hadn't found Edmund by now, would they ever?

    What if the White Witch had already gotten enough use out of him and killed him?

    Clara held her head in her hands. She would never forgive herself if anything happened to any of the Pevensie siblings. Despite knowing they didn't need protection, she still felt that they were her responsibility since they were under her grandfather's— and therefore her— care.