2: The Wager

"No lunch today?" Toby questioned, his face falling a tad.

Jim brought his hand to his head and ran it across his face, "Dangit...sorry Tobes, I forgot."

"Huh...not like you to forget to cook, can barely keep you away from that stove dude!" Domzalski adjusted his helmet as the two boys rode off towards the school.

"Yeah, I was up late last night. Just wasn't really feeling inspired, you get me?"

Toby shrugged, "Guess so, but I'm not exactly a culinary genius like yourself. Heh, we all remember that disaster when I nearly set you kitchen on fire."

Jim laughed at that memory, "Oh jeez yeah! How could I forget the infamous flaming spaghetti incident of '09?!" He replied jokingly.

They pedalled down the road, Toby falling behind a tad. Meanwhile, Jim rode just ahead, his mind already racing, focused on what to do next. This time it had to be perfect.
The final bell chimed in the distance. Toby let out a panicked yell about them being late, but honestly, Jim was past caring by this point. He'd relived this year of school umpteen times already, so being late didn't bother him in the slightest.

"Ohhhhh shoot! Jim we are so late! Strickler is gonna be mad! Like three weeks of detention mad!" The ginger haired boy freaked out.

"Ugh, relax Tobes. Strickler can do one as far as I'm concerned. Why can't we just enjoy a quiet bike ride to school? It's a nice day, you're here, I'm here, everything is fine." Jim slumped back on his seat a bit and slowed his pedalling right down.

Toby just glared back at him. His face was shocked.

"What...has...gotten...into...you...dude..." Toby spluttered through heavy breathing as he sprinted to catch up with Jim.

All Lake could muster was a nonchalant shrug.

"The canals! Let's take the canals! You love the canals, all the bumps and slopes and stuff. All that living a little and adrenaline! Then at least we won't be too late. Otherwise, I am ditching you and going off on my own. Seriously Jimbo, I am not being late because you can't be bothered for some reason."

"The canals?" Jim echoed.

"Yeah...the canals...c'mon..." Toby panted.

"Nah, I'm good."

"What? Afraid you won't beat me to school if I ride ahead?" Tobias teased playfully, lightly ramming his bike into Jim's.

Jim looked across as his best friend. It somewhat warmed his stone cold heart to see Toby smiling. To see the fun, enthusiastic guy he loved. He was so distracted he temporarily lost his balance and fell flat on his face, the bike falling on top of him. Toby hopped off his bike in turn to help Jim to his feet, only to stop and admire the teen's physique. He'd could've sworn Jim wasn't this muscular yesterday.

"Whoa, dude when did you get so...jacked?" He inspected Jim's exposed forearm.

Jim sighed. He'd barely noticed that muscle he'd built up, it wasn't much, but enough to give him some noticeable bulk to his frame. Hm, it'll be fun to see how Steve reacts to this. He thought to himself with a smirk.

"I guess uhh, puberty?" He offered in reply.

Toby appeared impressed as both of them mounted their bikes once more.

"Man, if that's what puberty does, I can't wait to hit it, just imagine all the ladies reacting to me," Toby chuckled, "Anyway, bet you can't beat me over the bridge slowpoke!"

"Oh, them's fighting words Tobes!" He burst out with a grin, "Race you, last one there has to buy the other a milkshake from Benoit's!"

"Oh, you are on! Best make sure you've saved enough pocket money Jimbo because I'm gonna go all out on that milkshake order!" Toby retorted back.