5: Retrieval

Dawn broke over Arcadia, long fingers of golden sunlight extending through the clouds and filtering into people's homes. The first hint of changing light gave Jim quite the rude awakening. He rose from his bed slowly like zombie rising from the grave, the groan he let out was akin to the sounds the undead made too. He looked at his watch, waiting for his eyesight to focus long enough to read the numbers. It was around four in the morning. Perfect. Most of the town would still be sleeping but it was just light enough to not have  any troll interruptions, or so he hoped.
Jim quickly threw his clothes on, just now realising how tight they felt. He struggled to get his sweater back on again now that it'd been taken off, but he just about managed.
Note to self, after you get the amulet, get some new clothes that actually fit. He remarked to himself.
Just before he left his bedroom, his eyes happened upon the locked drawer. He hadn't heard that voice since he'd come out the hospital, but then again, he'd been doing his best to keep it at bay. Whatever he was doing appeared to be working.
Quietly, he sneaked past his mom's room and down the stairs, swiping his phone off the counter on his way out. The air outside possessed a slight chill, only a small reminder of the bitter gales that had ravaged the streets the night before. Trash littered the road. Jim took a moment to pick up the trash cans from where they'd been toppled over by the wind. He realised he'd need his bike and hesitated. It'd probably still be at the school. However, he happened to glance at the porch and to his surprise, his bicycle was perched outside the front door. He couldn’t believe he'd managed to miss it on his way out initially. His mom must've left it there.
His helmet was nowhere to be seen but a rain-soaked noted was haphazardly taped to the handlebars, wrapped around a Nougat Nummy. Jim took it in his fingers and read it, stashing the chocolate in his pocket for later.

Hey Jimbo,

Your mom came to take you to the hospital to make sure you got home in one piece, so I thought I'd make sure your bike got home in one piece too. Take care man, you know where I am if you need company, tacos or a shoulder to cry on.

Toby :)

PS - Thought I'd leave you a nutritious snack because you'll need to get your energy up! Now get some rest you dork!

He smiled as he read it. Toby was still okay. That was good. He also appreciated the gesture deeply.
The angsty teen mounted his bike and took off like the wind towards the canals. It was probably, well no probably about it, it was incredibly unsafe for him to be riding a bike without a helmet the day after a mild concussion but he felt fine so who cared. Jim knew for a fact he certainly didn't. He rounded the corner down the dirt track, flinging himself into the air with reckless abandon. Feeling the early morning breeze run through his longer hair, letting it flow behind him. The front wheel of the bike clattered into the concrete slope leading into the canals. A pile of rocks that was formerly Kanjigar the Courageous lay deserted, untouched below. A familiar dull, azure glow emanated from it. It was still here.
Lake dismounted his bike and cast it behind him, sauntering over to the pile of rocks and moving them aside to place the amulet in his hands. It gleamed in the sunlight.
To his relief, he couldn't hear it uttering his name. He couldn't hear any name coming from it. This was probably a good thing, right?
So as not to draw ire from Trollmarket, Jim decided he'd take the amulet somewhere else to destroy it or at least so he could hide it. That way it couldn't find anybody to call as a champion and he wouldn't have to deal with being the Trollhunter's mentor again. Or so he hoped.
He quickly grasped at it, a strange sensation spreading through him as it touched his skin. The hairs on the back of his neck bristled. A chill surged through his entire body. Next thing he knew, the strange emerald haze returned to cloud his vision. Jim began to panic. His heart rate skyrocketed. He couldn't pass out again, not here, not now. Steadying himself, the former Trollhunter slowed his breathing and focused, clearing his mind. The energy forming around him seemingly erupted away. Echoes of the past, the present and the future, other timelines, other realities all lingered around him. He saw the first time he'd found the amulet. Toby picking up the amulet. His fight with Bular. Events from the Eternal Night.
He wretched at the sight of Merlin licking the ground just to his left. Man, that old wizard was weird. Is this seriously what the old fart was doing whilst he was busy having an existential crisis over giving up his life and humanity? Licking the damned floor?!
Jim surmised he'd never understand what went through Merlin's brain at all. He was probably just senile.

"Fucking weirdo." He huffed under his breath.

"Excuse me Trollhunter, I'd advise you to watch your tongue!" Merlin's voice rasped back.

"Whoa, wait, what the fuck?!" Jim almost leapt six miles out of his own body.

Merlin stood up and dusted his armour down. He look unimpressed with being disturbed. Jim on the other hand was beyond baffled. Somehow, the ancient mage could see and hear him despite only being an echo of the past.

"C-can you see me?" He asked, seeking confirmation of how insane this situation was.

The grizzled old man tutted and simply nodded to answer, "Yes, dear boy! Of course I can bloody see you! Who else could I possibly be talking to?"

"Uhhhh...Toby and Claire?"

"Do you see Tobias and Lady Claire around me at all?!" Merlin chided.

Jim furrowed his brow. He noticed the other apparitions had faded away and only Merlin remained before him. Douxie's mentor had his arms folded.

"Well how are you able to see me?"

"It's quite simple really James. When you've been alive as long as I have, you're able to sneak glimpses into the very fabric of reality," Merlin explained, "I'm also able to sense and commune with those who happen to be spying on me from outside of time! I'm unsure how you're able to do so and why but I don't much appreciate it."

Lake didn't answer. He just stood there. He realised if he could speak to Merlin now, perhaps he wouldn't need to go to the trouble of revealing himself to Douxie.

He raised a hand to the wizard's face and cut across his rant, "Merlin, do you know of anyone called Dhiren?"

Merlin's eyes widened in horror. He hadn't crossed paths with Dhiren, but he'd heard the stories.

"As a matter of a fact, I have. Where did you come across the name, if I may know?"

Jim sighed heavily, "Well...it's kinda complicated. You may wanna sit down for this one, it's a bit crazy."