22: The Moral Crisis

Jim stewed in his own self pity for a while longer. He'd cast his amulet to the ground and was trying his best to ignore it, no matter how loud and invasive Dhiren's begging for his attention was.
The boy had had enough. He reached out and grabbed the damn thing in his tight grip, demanding it told him why it was doing this.

"What the fuck do you want?" He pressed.

Finally come to your senses James? I've been waiting for you.

Dhiren sneered.

Jim set the amulet down on his desk and flopped back into the comfort of his sheets. He didn't have the energy for this conversation, but he also didn't have the energy to ignore it any longer.

Bad day?

The voice from his amulet asked, it may have just been performative sympathy but Jim didn't really care, it was someone to talk to about what was happening.

"I guess you could say that," He sighed deeply, rolling over to face the amulet, "So much shit is happening and I just...there's something new every five fucking minutes, it's slowly killing any sense of self I ever fucking had."

A lot of profanity there James. As for everything happening, it's simple really. I told you about the power laying dormant within you, I believe the wizard did as well. Well, that power is merely becoming active as you desire for it.

"What? So you were telling the truth the whole damn time?" Jim spat.

Dhiren chuckled, mockingly.

Naturally! What motivation could I possibly have for lying to you James?

"Oh, I don't know, how about the fact that you're in prison essentially without a body and mine is ripe for the taking?"

Okay, fair point, but I couldn't take your body even if I wanted to.

The entity's voice replied.

"Then why fucking bother me?!" Lake snapped, a growl escaping his lungs.

Because I see a young man broken by a burden forced onto him. Another who was harmed by Merlin Ambrosius. That old fool forced me into the Kronisfere for merely trying to correct what I thought was wrong. You are on the same path. Why wouldn't I encourage you to take the power you rightfully deserve and use it to right a wrong?

Jim hesitated. The voice that responded this time seemed weirdly genuine and whilst part of him was still convinced all of this was merely a ploy to manipulate him into doing the bidding of some ancient evil demonic entity, by the day he was growing more and more hooked on the allure of claiming phenomenal cosmic powers for his own gain. Think about it, he could remake the timelines so they were all happy. He could use this to save everyone. He could save Toby. Plus, the magic he'd accessed thus far, even his troll form, had given him to power to keep Toby safe. Dhiren most certainly had an ulterior motive, but Jim didn't want to lose the chance...but still his ever-changing moral compass was stopping him from just seizing the opportunity. That and he was 110% done with almost everything Merlin had to say and offer him.

"I...I need more time to think. There's just...too much to handle right now." Jim muttered.

Very well James, but your time to choose sides is running out...