8: 21 Questions

Claire Nuñez awoke in a great mood. She had a spring in her step as she launched herself out of bed and got herself changed into her usual attire. She bopped about her room to the music playing from her alarm clock radio, finally heading to breakfast.

"¡Hola mama, papa!" She beamed ecstatically.

Ophelia and Javier greeted their daughter, watching her grab some cereal out the cupboard and pour herself a bowl. Both exchanged a chuckle and went about their respective business. Javier left for his job at the office and Claire grabbed Enrique, ready to load the baby into his pram. Her mother was busy getting papers together.

"¡Ah, hola mi precioso hermanito!" Claire nuzzled her little brothers nose affectionately as the baby cooed.

He placed a tiny chubby hand on her cheek and babbled incoherently. His older sister laughed and spun him round a couple of times causing him to erupt into fits of joyful giggling. Claire slipped Enrique into the pushchair and did up the buckle, playing peekaboo with him until her mom came back into the kitchen to take over.

"Are you at school today?" Ophelia asked.

Claire stood up from playing with Enrique and answered, "Yeah mom, it's a half day though. I have rehearsals in the evening."

"I hope you're planning to study in the afternoon then."

"Yeah, I'm probably gonna just study with someone from my class." She lied.

She actually intended on catching up with Toby for a chat after their English literature class ended. After their phone call last night, she was definitely curious to find out more about why Jim was acting so...off.
She planted a goodbye peck on Enrique's forehead, the baby letting out a gurgle in response, then headed to grab her bag so she could get to school.

"I'll drop you off today hun, I have a meeting at the town hall later so I'll be driving that way." Ophelia called to Claire, joining her at the front door, pushing the stroller.

"Thanks mom." Her daughter beamed.

The two of them got in the car, placing Enrique in his car seat and set off towards Arcadia Oaks High. As they cruised along the street, Claire had to do a double take. She could've sworn that the guy she just saw jogging away from the café in a grey jean jacket had a resemblance to Jim.
Hm, the plot thickens. Her thoughts said.
She kept her chocolate brown eyes locked on the person as they drove past, determined to discover who the tall, muscular stranger was - even though she was certain he looked like Jim.

They pulled up outside the school, allowing for Claire to hop out and wish her mom goodbye. She waved as the car disappeared around the corner and headed into the school gates. It was there she saw Toby chaining his bike up alone. This wouldn't have caught her off guard but for the fact that Toby always cycled into school with Jim. Claire also had to remind herself of the previous day's fainting and concussion incident so logically, Jim was likely home resting. However, her brain was running wild with theories after catching a glimpse of that guy who looked like him this morning on her way into school.

"Hey Toby!" Claire ran up to where Domzalski was standing, readjusting his bike.

She heard him audibly sigh as she approached, his face blank. He looked exhausted though, heavy bags under his eyes.

"Morning Claire." His voice was unintentionally devoid of emotion, due to how exhausted he was.

Toby took a moment to sort out his rucksack and prepared himself for the inevitable onslaught on questions coming his way. He could see her stimming enthusiastically, ready to explode next to him. Every moment of silence that passed between them caused her hand flapping to grow more intense, she was desperate to get to the bottom of what was going on. He guessed the rumours were true, Claire did love a good mystery.