I

The train came to a slow halt. You glance out of the dusty window. The town was plain. Very plain. Nothing but dirt and rundown buildings.

"On we go, y/n." Your father smiled, taking both of your luggages and leading you off the train. The heat was intense. The sun making you squint.

Following your fathers long strides, you entered a small building you were going to call home. The only reason you were in Little Boston to begin with was because of your fathers newest job.

Daniel Plainview, his employer. The Oil Man. He recruited your father, offering immense pay as your father was very well known for his hard work. He gratefully accepted the offer and now there you were.

"Ah, you've arrived." The familiar voice chuckled, footsteps following in. "Afternoon, Mr. Plainview." You greet, smiling. "Afternoon, dear. Where has your father run off to?"

"Not sure. He should be around." You mumble, walking over to the small window and seeing your father inspecting the yard. "Out back." You inform, Daniel nodded and exiting.

You began unpacking your belongings, listening in on the two mens conversation. Daniel wanted your father to begin working at the well bright and early the very next morning. Of course, your father was eager to begin and gladly agreed.

===

Sunday morning you woke up to the sound of your fathers shuffling. "Off to the well?" You questioned, sitting up. "Hm? Oh, yes. I'll be sure to be back before dinner. Why don't you join everyone down at the church?"

"The church?"

"Yes. Get to know the folks."

"But father-"

"Go."

You sigh. You never dared to argue with your father. He wasn't a hard believer in the lord but still believed nonetheless. That's how he met your mother. Through god. It was a sweet story, really.

Once your father left, you changed into your outfit for the day. Was nothing special. Simply a light yellow dress.

You followed the crowd to where you assumed the church was. It was a small, rundown, shack; the only light source being the cracks in the wood and the front door.

You walked in, musk filling your nose. You sat at the only open seat; second pew on the right.

A boy, tall and skinny, approached the front. His hair was slicked back. His was dressed neat. Black button down with a black vest.

He turned to face the crowd and smiled.

"Welcome, my dearest brothers and sisters," he began, putting his hands over his heart, "I have an announcement to make." He paused, glancing at you.

"We seem to have a new member of the church! Just arrived a few days ago, correct?" He asked. "Correct." You answer with a nod. "Mm, and what is your name, dear?"

"Y/n."

"May we welcome, y/n?!" He shouted, smiling and holding his arms out as everyone greeted you. You awkwardly waved before the boy continued his preaching.

You tried to listen but you weren't too interested. The word of the lord never stuck out to you. You were like your father. You believed but not as hard as everyone in the room did.

The hour long preach came to an end. Everyone up and leaving, the boy bidding them soft goodbye's and blessings. You were last.

As you approached the doors he looked and offered a kind smile. "Thank you for attending."

"No, thank you. Spreading the lords word is a difficult task, is it not?" You smile back, facing him. "Not when he guides you every step of the way." He chuckled.

"I never got your name, sir."

"Sunday. Eli Sunday."

"Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Sunday." You nod softly. "As am I to you," he said, taking your hand in his, "Join us again next time?"

You nod. "Wonderful. Have a blessed day, y/n." He said in a low tone, letting you go.

As you walked you glanced over your shoulder once or twice to see Eli watching. He was a little odd but you shrugged it off.

You weren't sure if you actually were going to attend another day. You only went this once to please your father.

You walked the dirt roads in the summer heat. You caught a glimpse of the oil well in the distance, squinting to see if you could get a better look. It seemed pretty big. You could see the busy bodies shuffling around.

You got closer and closer. The putrid scent violating your senses as you neared. "Ah, y/n, darling. May I help you?" Daniel asked, stopping you in your tracks. "Just checking up on my father." You said, forcing a smile. "No need. I assure you he's fine. Doing a great job as always."

You stayed silent, looking past him at the working men. "Is there anything else?" Daniel asked, seemingly annoyed. "No. Not at all, Mr. Plainview." You smile again. "Well then, off you go. See you around." He smiled, turning you and nearly shoving you away.

You huffed and walked away. You never liked Daniel. He was a bully. A narcissist. Money hungry. You knew men always died when working in his wells; it was why you worried for your father so much.

You could only hope he'd stay safe.

A/n: oh my goodness gracious...Eli Sunday...lord have mercy...