V

Your bags were at the door. The scent of breakfast filled the small home while you waited for Eli. He knocked once or twice before you let him in.

"Good morning." He smiled softly. "Morning. Come in and have a seat." You smile back, flattening the wrinkles on your dress with your hands as you stepped back. Eli walked in, the smell filling his nose; as he walked to the table. You followed and you both sat down.

"What are all the luggages for, if I may ask?" Eli spoke, breaking the silence. "Hm? Oh. I meant to tell you that I'm leaving." You answer. You watch Eli nearly choke on his food, eyes going wide then sad. "Leaving? What do you mean?"

"There's no reason to stay here. I only came here because of my fathers job with the oil well."

"But what about the friends you've made here?"

"Eli, I don't have friends here. You're the only person I've really spoken to." You chuckle.

"You've spoken to members at the church."

"Because they spoke to me first."

Eli sighed and sank into the chair. You watched as he fell into a deep thought. Neither of you brought up the kiss you shared weeks ago. Both shrugged it off. Forgot about it. You liked Eli even though you hadn't known one another that long, yet you were still fond of him.

Eli had been fond of you since he saw you step off the train that day. Saying he was delighted to see you at the church the first time you went was an understatement. When you said yes to his first dinner offer his heart was leaping out of his chest.

He was head over heels for you.

The way he rambled about you to his sister made her think you two were already together. She encouraged Eli to ask the big question but he'd been restraining himself. Worried that you'd say no or that he'd fumble over his words and you'd laugh.

Now with hearing you would be leaving, he was mustering the courage. He didn't know what he'd do if he wasted time and you were gone forever.

"Eli?" You ask, snapping him out of his thoughts. He looked at you, blinking away his daze. "I have something to ask you, y/n." He said, taking in a deep breath as he sat straight, resting his hands on the table. "Go ahead." You mutter, doing the same.

You both stared at one another in an anxious silence. "When will you be leaving?" He asked instead, mentally slapping himself around and calling himself names. "Oh, um...noon." You answer, hunching over slightly. "So an hour?"

You nod sadly.

===

Eli had spent that whole hour with you. Time flew by and you nearly forgot you were meant to be leaving. "Oh, my. I'm going to miss the train." You huff, standing up to your feet. "Allow me." Eli smiled, taking your luggages. "Thank you." You nod, leading Eli out the door.

As you walked, Eli kept beating himself up inside. You made it to the station and promptly waited for the train to arrive. You caught a glimpse of Daniel eyeing you both from inside the saloon. You sent him a glare of your own before returning your attention to Eli.

"Y/n?" He piped up, looking at you. "Yes?" You answer, watching Eli bite the inside of his cheek before taking in a deep breath. "I can't let you leave." He finally spoke, dropping your bags and taking your hands in his. "What? Why not?" You question, furrowing your brows. "Because I..." he paused, sighing; bringing your hands to his chest, "I apologize if this is strange, but I may love you."

Your eyebrows knitted together even further. "Love? Eli, we've only known one another for nearly three months. How could you love me?" You mutter. "I've asked myself the same question everyday. I don't know...it's just...ever since we've met; I've just been so infatuated with you. Your eyes and your smile have captivated me. You are like...an angel sent by god." He concluded, eyes searching yours for your words.

You were honestly at a loss for words. Never would you have thought Eli, the shy man who preaches on sundays, would be confessing his love to you. "Y/n, please say something." He sighed, squeezing your hands gently as the train approached and came to a halt; the others there getting on and the ones arriving getting off.

"Eli, I..."