III

"I'm sorry..." Daniel sighed, looking down. "You're sorry? What happened? Mr. Plainview, please-"

"Your father died at the well last night!" Daniel shouted over you, watching your expression fall. "What...?" You breathed out, furiously blinking back tears as you stared up to the man. "One of the pipes hit him when he was down the well. It was a terrible accident-"

"Accident?! You call that an accident?! What happened to the 'many safety precautions' you preached about when you sat down with my father?!" You shouted, angrily shoving your finger at Daniel. "Accidents happen!" He shouted over you, slapping your hand away from him.

"You bastard! He trusted you enough to work for a lousy penny! Are any of those men even qualified?!" You practically scream, tears running down your face as you lunge after Daniel who began walking away; Eli grabbing you by the waist to prevent you from doing so.

"Mr. Plainview, you get back here right now! Eli let me go!" You scream, trying to wiggle out of his grasp; the tears blurring Daniels figure as he disappeared over the hill.

When the top of his was out of sight, you collapsed. Your knees scuffed the dusty wood below. You were sobbing, hunched over, your head in your hands.

"I'm truly sorry...I wish I could've met your father. I would've protected him-"

"Oh, Eli, please. Please don't start your preaching!" You sob, moving your shoulder so his hand fell. Eli went to speak but you quickly stood up, startling him slightly, "Don't preach to me. It is the last thing I want to hear." You hiss, eyes puffy as you aggressively sat at the nearest pew inside.

You didn't want to go home. You couldn't. His things were still there. In their proper place. How he last left it.

You watched Eli, out of the corner of your eye,  awkwardly sit beside you, hands on his lap. "I'm sorry, y/n." Eli mumbled, glancing at you. You stayed quiet; the dusty shack silent except for the sounds of your sniffling. "Is there...anything I could do?"

You slowly looked up at Eli. His expression was soft and sad. He looked genuinely sorry for you and wasn't saying he was sorry because he felt obligated to.

If Eli was being honest with himself, the sight in front of him shattered his heart into millions of pieces and his hatred for Daniel grew larger after watching the event unfold before his very eyes. Ever since he first caught glimpse of you he fell in love.

He wasn't an exact believer in love at first sight but you might've just proved him wrong. Sometimes he questioned if you were a literal angel sent by god.

He examined your face. Your eyes were red and puffy. Your cheeks were dusted a pink and stained with your tears that were still falling. The shattered pieces of his heart shattered even more.

"Stop crying...if anything, your father is with god now. Much better than working in that godforsaken well under Daniel's watch." Eli rambled, wiping away the tears on your face with his thumbs. "Eli, that...doesn't make it better." You sniffle, his hands cupping your cheeks.

"You're right, I'm sorry." He sighed. "You don't need to be sorry." You mumble into his hand, holding one of his with your own. The small moment made Eli's cheeks flush a bright pink. You couldn't help but chuckle, Eli quickly shutting you up with a kiss.

He pulled away just as quick and stared at you as if he didn't realize what he did. "Oh...oh I'm...I'm so sorry. Forgive me." He rambled, slowly pulling away until you mimicked his action and kissed him again.

"You don't need to be sorry." You repeat, wiping your face. "Right. Um...would you like to be walked home?" He asked, clearing his throat and running a hand through his hair. "Yes, please." You nod, Eli standing up and holding his hand out.

You took his hand and stood up, the two of you walking. "What will you do now?" Eli asked, looking over at you. "What do you mean?" You ask, wrapping your arm around Eli's. "With your father gone, what will you do now?"

"Oh, I'm not sure. I mean, there really is no reason for me to stay here anymore. I might go back."

"Back where?"

"Back home, Eli."

"Oh..."

You made it back home and Eli held the door open for you as you walked in. "Thank you for walking me." You sigh, kicking off your boots. "Of course..." Eli nodded, looking down. He seemed upset.

"Eli?"

He looked up at you and hummed questionably. "What's wrong?" You ask, tilting your head slightly. "Oh, nothing, nothing. I'll be going now. Don't be afraid to find me if you need something." He smiled. You nod watching him walk away.

You shut the door and look around. It felt grim. Dark. Gloomy. You slowly crept around, stopping before your fathers bedroom. You felt the tears flooding back and before you knew it they were streaming down your face yet again. You slumped onto your fathers bed and sobbed.

Sobbed yourself to sleep.