19 ◇ not real

New Asgard, Norway

"KIND OF A step down from a golden palace and magic hammers and whatnot," Rocket scoffed as he jumped out the backseat of the rickety jeep.  Loki exited next, holding out his hand to help me out of the vehicle as he eyed Rocket harshly.

"Have a little compassion, rabbit," he sighed, and I gripped his palm to calm him down.  Loki was right to get upset at Rocket's judgement, though.  As I shut the car door, I clicked my tongue at the raccoon.

"First they've lost Asgard, then half the people. They're probably just happy to have a home," I told him, the breeze blowing my hair.  The scent of fish and seawater filled my nose as we walked down the boardwalk, passing fishermen and supply boxes.

Thor had failed to respond to any of Natasha's calls or emails.  Apparently, this was the norm.  This meant we'd have to go get him personally, which I wasn't complaining about— Thor's the person I would consider my best friend.  It worried me he was so distant; it wasn't like him at all.

The team had decided everyone else would stay back, working on the time-travel situation.  Obviously, Loki and I were the proper choice to retrieve Thor, hoping to get through to him.  Rocket piloted our ride, a small spacecraft, and the trip was fast and mostly quiet, as a cloud of worry rained over each of us.  We landed in a field and were promptly picked up by a citizen in a Jeep, who dropped us off in the city.  We walked along a stone path, towards the cabin the citizen had said we could find Thor.

I slowed my steps, letting go of Loki's hand to hastily assist an older man who was carrying a large stack of gear boxes— one almost slipped off the top, and I was quick to catch it. 

Loki

I felt Y/N's hand leave mine, but I wasn't able to notice why as my attention was shifted by a harsh voice ahead of us.

"You shouldn't have come!" Valkyrie shouted, shaking her head.

I pursed my lips, a thin charming smile forming. "Ah, Valkyrie.  Good to see you too."

She looked me up and down, her brows raising. "A few years in Greece and you're just as pale as the last time I saw you."

I ignored her quips, nodding towards my companion. "This is Rocket."

"How you doin'?" he saluted her lazily, jutting out his chin.

She eyed him warily, before looking between us with her arms crossed. "He won't see you."

In the past, I would have believed her.  Thor and I had lost contact in the last few years— for me, the last time I had seen my brother was over two years ago.  I tried to stay out of this New Asgard; feeling much more comfortable in Greece.  That's where Y/N always wanted to live.  I moved there for her, and Thor was supportive of it.  It was a fresh start.

I didn't like being away from Thor so much, but after a while he pushed me away.  I grew tired of traveling so far just to be turned away or shrouded by his negativity.  Valkyrie assured me she would watch over him, but it seems now Thor was untouchable by all.

His pride was destroyed after killing Thanos; something that should have made us victorious.  But it was obvious when Thanos snapped, he not only tore away my brother's best friend, but his confidence as well— and Thor's act of finally killing Thanos didn't bring either back.  He's never recovered.