C H A P T E R • F O U R

1796

A few days away from Aubrey Hall dampened Millicent's spirit and the weather seemed to represent how she felt as there was nothing but rain

A few days away from Aubrey Hall dampened Millicent's spirit and the weather seemed to represent how she felt as there was nothing but rain. Her mother watched Millicent like a hawk, to see what she seemed to be doing.

Mostly what Millicent did was write. She wanted to write to both Anthony and Benedict to discuss when she would next be arriving at Aubrey Hall. The three had come up with many plans including horse riding and possibly convincing Millicent to be allowed to shoot a gun.

That was mostly Benedict's idea as Anthony couldn't disagree more. But the weather would put a hold on all of that. Millicent was sitting on the ledge of her window, her legs pulled close to her chest as she sewed. Although she was never passionate about the idea of seeing, Violet Bridgerton had taught her the beauty within, something her own mother could never do, and to show her appreciation Millicent wanted to see something as a gift.

So she sat, listening and sometimes watching the rain. However, with her needle work on her knees she continued to do so until there was a knock on the door. Turning her head Millicent instantly stood up and placed down her items, her hands meeting behind her back.

Although she would never admit it until it was too late, Millicent was terrified of her mother. The woman craved power. That power grew to become a ditest Millicent had and therefore never knew her name. She had never been told or even heard anyone ever use it. Perhaps they were all so scared of her to even speak it.

"Millicent. It seems you have become quite interested in your needle work." Millicent nodded.

"It is for Lady Bridgerton. As a kind thank you for her recent hospitality." Her mother nodded and moved around towards her. Keeping her eyeline down Millicent was terrified to move. That was until her fingers slipped underneath her chin and caused her to look up.

"She shall not need thanks. After all she is just hosting for the future Viscountess is she not?" Millicent gulped and nodded, slightly terrified to argue against it.

"How is your relationship with the eldest. The future Viscount?" Her mother moved away and scanned her room, as though she was searching for the answers.

"Very well. Although he is stubborn he is kind." That was the most she would give. Enough to satisfy her mother but not so much that she exposed her entire friendship with Anthony because anything she heard would be used to their advantage. Especially her mothers advantage.

"Miss Millicent." A footman was at the door with a gentle knock. Both turned and he looked to Lady Shipton who nodded before approaching her daughter. Handing the letter addressed to her and only her Millicent quickly read it over and a smile instantly crept up to her face.

"Well...?" Her mother questioned to which Millicent looked to her and her face dropped.

"It's just a letter from Benedict." Looking back down the letter there was writing on the opposite side which made her laugh.