C H A P T E R • S I X

1796

Eloise Bridgerton had not been around for long but Millicent found herself standing at her cot in the nursery mostly

Eloise Bridgerton had not been around for long but Millicent found herself standing at her cot in the nursery mostly. Eloise Bridgerton had only been born a month and yet all Millicent was able to do was watch her.

She wasn't allowed as close to her own siblings, so she just would sit with Eloise, she would sit with Violet whilst she was spending time with Eloise, she would even just watch her in the nursery when Violet had to leave and the governess would watch over her.

It was an attachment of some sort that no one could explain. Millicent was sat one evening with a book in her hand. It was a book she had read many times before but was the only one she had brought from Cranbrook House.

Anthony was walking past the Nursery and glanced in to see his newborn little sister and saw Millicent sat on the ledge with the ragged old book she was always rereading.

"You know-" Millicent jumped and slammed her book closed to see Anthony.

"You can choose another book to read." Millicent chuckled and stood, clutching the book.

"This is the only one I brought from home. Besides, it is that of one of my favourites. So I do not feel remotely guilty reading it again." Anthony gave a smile and nodded.

"Do you not find the story boring as you will know the ending?" He asked with a hint of arrogance and disbelief that she could read many different books but always chose the same one. As though the words are marked unto her skin.

"Not all of us have the option of a grand library at our fingertips. I myself am just lucky and grateful to have a book I can call my own." She said as her feet swept her out of the Nursery and suddenly down the hall. Quietly, and almost scared to wake her, Anthony followed suit. He caught up towards her and asked "If you had a library within your grasp, would you use it so?" Millicent turned the corner, placing her book behind her back.

"Perhaps. But that will only occur when I am a rich woman living in a grand home." Anthony smiled as they reached the empty drawing room. Intrigued by her, Anthony stood behind the sofa, leaning onto it as Millicent put down the ragged book she was carrying, gently on the table.

"Tell me more." Anthony said as Millicent smiled, moving around the room. She smiled and fiddled with the ends of her hair before moving over to the fire place.

"When I am older, I will live in a grand building, with ceilings so high I cannot possibly reach. I will have a grand hallway, big enough to be transformed into that of a ballroom. I shall have my own band so I can dance without posture or poise and be incredibly ridiculous. And my library."