Part 6: Love and Fire

we begin our reunion with soft, sultry, glowing eyes

with soft, sultry, glowing eyes.
then my fingers ignite his skin
until hungry, crackling fire
consumes our passionate souls fire
I light a match
just to see the flame
feel the warmth.
I blow it out
just to feel some power
over anything in my life.

~🗡~

What if my destiny lies elsewhere? What if I felt a call, but it wasn't to serve the city, but for something—" Kiara chose her words carefully. "Greater".

She was back into her act, her mask in full view. She tucked in her shoulders and head to make herself seem vulnerable. Her eyes grew wider, more innocent and naive — anything she couldn't say with words, she could say with a look.

"How do you mean?" Kor appeared unsettled.

"I always felt like my gift was a not meant for me, because I never wanted to belong to the palace. But what if it is because she is guiding me elsewhere? I've always felt a pull, ever since I was a little girl growing up in the city. A pull beyond these walls. Like she's telling me to follow a different path".

After a moment of gazing out the window, deep in thought, Kor's eyes fell back to Kiara. "You are her voice". He said quietly, in agreement.

"Yes!" Kiara stood quickly, moving towards Kor. Placing her hand softly on his face, she stroked her thumb across his stubbled cheek. Kor locked eyes with her, mesmerised by the woman that stood before him. Kiara too, had what can only be described as an affectionate look in her eye; far from the cunning thoughts that now ran through her mind. "And I don't think I knew, until I met you, what I have to do."

"What do you have to do?" Kor's voice was weak and small, taken in by her sudden show of affection. His eyes drawn to the thumb that now caressed his cheek.

"We have to leave this place, together."

Kor took in a deep breath, the words that followed filled with great regret "I can't, I'm sworn to the city, to the flame, to her..."

"I am her. You said it yourself. You are sworn to me."

"If I leave, they'll come after me. They'll hang me for betraying my promise to serve until—"

Kiara pressed her fingers against his lips, quelling his chatter. She attempted to look like she was being understanding, or at least that she is thinking over his words. She was not really sure what expression she wore, her mind was too busy turning over and over, trying to think of what to say next.

"Do you know what happens to me in here? Your conduit of God." Kiara pretended to angrily remove her hand from Kor's cheek.

A great sadness filled Kor's eyes. He nodded.

"Take me away from here, take me from my prison and help me follow the fire that guides me. That guides us." She put her hand to his chest. "Do you not think we met for a reason?"

Kor fidgeted on the spot. It seemed as if he was desperately searching for words as well. His mouth opening and closing, about to say something, until he finally came out with "We could tell the others, they might understand if we tell them".

"And what if they don't? What if they force me into the palace? We may never find out what she is really guiding me to."

Kor was becoming flustered. His mind was in overdrive, she could tell by the flickering of his eyes and his incessant blinking.

"So what would we do, if we leave?" 

Suddenly, Kiara was caught off guard. What if they did leave? She hadn't thought that far ahead. Would she end up his pet as he worked, or back in a whorehouse halfway around the world? They would have to remain hidden because of his stupid vows. She could leave him, but where would she go? If she had options, she'd have already fled. She thought he was her prison key, but yet another awaited her.

Her spark of an idea was now a very small flame. If she didn't play things right, it could easily be extinguished.

"We'd have to." Her mind was blank. "We'll have to..."

"We would need a plan," Kor said, saving her from her bumbling. "A way to survive beyond Coldmore. A way to follow the fire that guides you".

Time to think, that was what she needed. Maybe Kor was not the key, but perhaps he could bring it to her, like a well-trained dog.

"Yes." She smiled. "Together, we can find a way to follow the path."

"By her grace, we live." Kor chanted, closing his eyes and looking to the ground in prayer.

Kiara got in a swift eye roll before he looked back up to her, that same sickness of devotion still washed across his face. A look that she has seen on countless faces at the parade earlier that day. He smiled back at her faintly and gave a slight bow, like the good little soldier he was, before turning to leave. Just as he reached the door, he looked back at her.

"Could I see it again?" He asked sheepishly.

Kiara gave him a crooked smile as she dashed over to him. She placed her hand on his right shoulder and moved in close, her lips against his ear. She then lifted her left hand, lit a fire on her fingertips and spun it around right before his eyes. As he watched the fire, she kissed him on the cheek and whispered in his ear "don't tell a soul."

Stepping back slowly, she gave him with a deep, vulnerable, tender look; a look she gave all her best paying and least detestable patrons

Stepping back slowly, she gave him with a deep, vulnerable, tender look; a look she gave all her best paying and least detestable patrons. The ones that always came back for more. She knew how to fake just about anything, even love.

"Nobody has ever seen the real me before."

A statement that was still very much true.

————

Feel free to imagine the characters,
I just add pictures to help you imagine more of the story.

Thanks for all your feedback and support!